Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Pelts..... šŸ˜‰

Pretty quiet here....... youngest DS moved out, so we are adjusting to having an empty nest.

Drove to Galena IL yesterday to pick up a few more ducklings. They are now in their pen next to the meat chicks (that need to be evicted soon). I am hoping the meat birds can be moved outside by next weekend. The only thing holding me back is that the bottom of the cart has 1ā€ hardware cloth, so their feet will slip through.

I really need to get a fence put up..... one that is permanent. Right now we have some garden cloth set up, which is getting knocked down by critters and is not the nicest looking fencing.....

Good luck with getting the fence up. It took weeks before we finally got one made for the baby chicks. Still need to make one for Pixie. She needs to have more freedom than when we let her out to run around the yard for a few hours while we are able to watch her.

I have two fenced in areas. they are cyclone fencing. both are way overgrown with blackberries. They are 4 feet tall, good enough for meaties, cornich/X . but normal chickens easily figured out how to roost on them and jump off on the wrong side..
I spent most of yesterday working on my rider mower. I should get it done today..
I hope.
.....jiminwaUSAu......

We just found out that the ugly little tree in the fenced dog yard is a Mulberry! It is loaded with fruit, so I will be outside in a bit picking mulberry and black caps.
DH was going to rip that ugly tree out and toss it on the burn pile but not now. As he said to one of our friends "We don't get rid of food sources".
That tree will be dug up this fall and moved to an area that we are going to fence for the chickens.
We bought 2 cherry tomato plants yesterday. I have been looking for Cherry or grape tomatoes since spring. Now I need to get them in the ground - I left space for 4 tomato plants so do have a place to put them. But, I had nose surgery and am not able to bend over for 10 days. They will have to live on the screen porch until Saturday...

just thinking of nose surgery makes my eyes water.
the chickens will keep the mulberries harvested for you.
I have one growing in what was the flower bed near the house. I think you need two of them to get fruit ??
It is very near one of the old black walnut trees, but it seems to not be affected. It is over 5 years old..
......jiminwaUSAu.......

@jvls1942 I can only find one of them, and it is loaded with fruit. There may be another one nearby. This one was hidden in a wildly overgrown hedge that we removed from along our driveway. There is more overgrown brush along the road that we need to remove, but for now, that brush is holding up the dog fence, lol.

I got my wish. the tomatoes should be watered for a few days from all this rain.
I have to divide my rhubarb and plant it somewhere else. It is getting spindly. I think the black walnuts are beginning to affect it.
I finally got the second blade loosened on the lawn mower. On Wednesday I can sharpen them and get the mower put back together.
the grass/hay is really tall..
..........jiminwaUSAu........

Dh got smart a few years ago and bought a new set of blades for the zero-turn lawnmower and what he needs to sharpen the blades himself. Now he just takes the dull set off and replaces with a sharp set. then he sharpens the dull blades on rainy days.

We got a whole 0.16" of rain in the last 2 days. Which was needed after about 10 days with no rain. However, the morning dew had been so heavy during those 10 days that most everything survived.

I have an extra set of blades for the zero turn, too. still in the package they came in.
the blades for the CC cost about $28.oo each. x2 is $56.oo
too much money to have just lying around, waiting.
the hardest part is taking the deck off. It takes only a few minutes to sharpen two blades..
I was thinking of raising the mower with the tractor loader and taking the blades off that way.. maybe next time..
I wore out a grinding wheel on the first blade today. Have to go to Menard's and pick up a couple of 4'' grinding wheels..
it started raining again at 7PM today.
.......jiminwaUsAu....

Last edited:
got up early and found a grinding wheel. finished sharpening the blades. have everything back together and ready to reinstall the mower deck onto the yard tractor.
.....jiminwaUSAu......

Back
Top Bottom