Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Loveak9

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
South Central Wisconsin
Its been 9 days and Im still welted and itch. Ugh... on a good note, 5 of the 6 chickens are laying! Im up to my ears in eggs now lol
Have u tried rubbing mashed up broadleaf plantain on ur battle wounds? Just chop, twist or smash the leaves to release the juice and rub on welts or put plant bits in bandaid over welt.

Boardleaf plantain is a common lawn weed. See pic attach. I pick alot of leaves before it flowers every year, dry them and soak in oil. I then us this oil in superficial cut or bug wounds. Right after a sting you would wanna us fresh mashed up plant.

Attachments

jvls1942

Free Ranging
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
I have used that remedy. If you need it in a hurry, you can chew some to activate it. make a poultice.
last year I had a wasp's stinger break off and stay in my hand, it took several weeks for it to quit bothering me. I tried digging the stinger out several times. I thought I got it, but a piece must have broken off way deep.
I have not heard from Brent , Robin or Terry.
I hope the storm missed them..
......jiminwaUSAu.....

bigzio

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 20, 2007
Wisconsin
The storm missed us Jim. We could use some more rain on the gardens though.
Broadleaf plantain is also a edible green, and works well in salads with the tender leaves.
Garden is really giving up the veggies now. I need to harvest things every day now. We will be canning beets later this week. The only variety I grow are the cylindrical ones. We enjoy them much more than the classic round ones.

Stay Safe..bigz

babylady4

Mother Goose
11 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Central WI
Robin and Terri O are all well, I checked in with both.

Wish I could post the videos of the water running thought our yard on here....... it was pretty amazing.

jvls1942

Free Ranging
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
glad to hear that,
have a sister living down there. She only got rained on.
today I have to pull the starter off of Ollie. The Bendix refuses to engage. Hoping it just needs some lubrication. I should be so lucky.?
..........jiminwisc.....

wyoDreamer

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
NE Wisconsin
@jvls1942 I have my fingers crossed for an easy fix on Ollie.

We had a problem with the front end loader on our Kobota not responding correctly, ended up having to take it in for repairs. The tech then ordered the wrong part - which we had to pay for - and then it took 3 weeks to get the right part. After we got our tractor back, we never went to that shop again. I noticed the other day, they are no longer a Kuboda dealer...

jvls1942

Free Ranging
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
I broke the front axle on my Oliver a few years ago. took it to an implement dealer. they fixed it, but on the itemized bill they had several things listed that they did not do.. because I had it done before I sent the tractor to them..
I paid half the bill. they turned the bill over to a collection agency . I told the collection agency, good, now I will take you to court about this bill.
never heard from them again.
this morning I took the starter off and cleaned and oiled it. put it back on. Still won't engage. I forgot to check the ring gear when the starter was off. Oh well, I have to take it off again anyhow, I will check it then..
......jiminwaUSAu......

LJ33

Songster
5 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Have u tried rubbing mashed up broadleaf plantain on ur battle wounds? Just chop, twist or smash the leaves to release the juice and rub on welts or put plant bits in bandaid over welt.

Boardleaf plantain is a common lawn weed. See pic attach. I pick alot of leaves before it flowers every year, dry them and soak in oil. I then us this oil in superficial cut or bug wounds. Right after a sting you would wanna us fresh mashed up plant.
Great info! My step mother also mentioned Chamomile essential oil. Im not really itchy anymore, although you can still see some redness and sting marks.

I will need to game plan for next year. We have 3 species of wasps in various places around the roof(they are nesting in the siding/roof flashing ), the ground nest is toast, and then the big nest in the tree somehow made it thru that storm. My concern is that we have a well, only 500 feet from the Fox river, so Im nervous about any kind of chemical into the ground. I'll need to do a bit more research and see what natrual methods I can use.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom