Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Ok I know this is me being a novice with chicks but they really stress me out! Not sure it's the mix of breeds or what but I feel like they are all nuts! The BCM is getting so big so much quicker than the others! The Mille Fluer thinks he's the boss and is picking on the others ( pecking the feather/fuzz out of the Ancona who is a total mental patient ) the poor little peaceful jaerhon are constantly being jumped by somebody! They will eventually all be together so I hate to separate them now only to have to reintroduce them later any advice I have a bunch more coming soon! I have 2 larger totes connected with a roosting bar, a dirt bath,treat stick and hay for them to scratch around in. I was hoping to have them out in the garage in a bigger container soon but with this weather I don't think they are ready? Just over 3 weeks
Are they feathered out yet? If they are, they'd be fine out in the garage with a heat lamp. If they are crowded or uncomfortable, that can cause them to exhibit bad behavior. Or they are just being rambunctious chicks. How many do you currently have? (If you stated this earlier, I apologize. I'm a few pages behind).

I'm not embracing this crappy snow anymore!
tongue.gif
I'll even take the deep @ss mud at my place over this!

then you will be a chicken person with muddy but! does anyone know how to cure this

Celtic- there are 6 together now I want to move them soon but some aren't all feathered yet! The Mille is older and completely feathered and he and the Ancona seem to be the instigators! I don't think I will get such a variety of breeds again. When my 25 5 of 5 breeds should I put them together or separate them?

Evening All...you can keep them together since they are all the same age. You will need to wait to move them in my opinion. The heat lamp is a must and if it fails the peeps will too.

They called for for 4" but we have 6" to add to the 3 feet we already have. This won't be the last snow either...we are cursed with the white crap this year....
somad.gif

I'll be hunting turkeys in snowshoes I'm afraid.

later...bigz

Thanks for posting that recipe Deli. It is a bit different than the one I have used but I think I am going to peel my big eggs that I boiled and make a jar. I havent had the big ones for a while. A couple questions, does this result in a really clear brine? and are the eggs actually spicy and hot or do I need to add more peppers? (DH and Dad like them spicy!) Thanks!

OK--Off to peel eggs....LOL! TerriO
It starts clear..than after about a month it starts to get deeper in color. A bit cloudy too. I also add extra peppers. I like them hot. With one pepper they are a little hot but not too hot for anyone to eat them. My daughter even ate them with one pepper.
Ok I know this is me being a novice with chicks but they really stress me out! Not sure it's the mix of breeds or what but I feel like they are all nuts! The BCM is getting so big so much quicker than the others! The Mille Fluer thinks he's the boss and is picking on the others ( pecking the feather/fuzz out of the Ancona who is a total mental patient ) the poor little peaceful jaerhon are constantly being jumped by somebody! They will eventually all be together so I hate to separate them now only to have to reintroduce them later any advice I have a bunch more coming soon! I have 2 larger totes connected with a roosting bar, a dirt bath,treat stick and hay for them to scratch around in. I was hoping to have them out in the garage in a bigger container soon but with this weather I don't think they are ready? Just over 3 weeks
Chicks can get a bit nutty. They might be asking for more room. I would not put them outside unless they are feathered out. I have young chicks outside but they were outside at day one. I want to put my fully feathered chicks out soon myself. I am going to shoot for next week. They are to big for the brooder downstairs and that is 8 foot long.
Celtic- there are 6 together now I want to move them soon but some aren't all feathered yet! The Mille is older and completely feathered and he and the Ancona seem to be the instigators! I don't think I will get such a variety of breeds again. When my 25 5 of 5 breeds should I put them together or separate them?
Do not separate them. They will work it out. I have no feathers on feet right now from naughty chicks. They can get so darn mean to each other. Try to give a bit more room if you can. Any chance you can get a really long box for them to play in during the day? Or pull the totes apart and put extensions along the sides?

I have a leftover pack n play that is bigger I'm going to try to get together tomorrow thanks for the suggestions! I feel like I have to expand every couple of days! Glad I got this small batch before the big batch comes next month def a good learning experience!

Back
Top Bottom