Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I was going to comment about the lockdown question, but my opinion is so different than others, I am not going to even offer it.. I don't want to start an argument..

Yes, the pen is moving along nicely.. My brother came out today and helped me install the next 3 roof sections.. surprisingly enough, it went according to the plan in my head.. every section fit snugly and right to the "T".. I have to frame in the other door and then Bro will come back and help me put the last 2 sections up..

again, the dogs watched intently.. I think they will be able to do the next one with a little help from me..

......jimwithstillafewpagestoread...........

I get 4 - 5 eggs a day from the 6 of them.  don't know who the slacker is!   Which one did you tell me had been broody already?

Peepers the Speckled Sussex, went broody her first summer of laying about end of august or Sept......... little fart, I did break her after giving her 2 chicks I got from the neighbor, she was not a good momma that first time around, don't know if she knew they were not her chicks or just stupid, we lost 1 of them, the BO chick.... silly girl, but she so far this year hasn't shown any sign of broody, you will surely know if she does, she WILL NOT GET OUT OF THE NEST BOX AND WILL GROWL AT YOU.
I think your slacker might be Molly the EE she seemed to be going through a light molt this spring, and they do stop laying if they do that.......... or she might still be on an every other day schedule from winter. I noticed a few of my EE's did that, her mother did tyhe first winter I had her.......Kim

all Wisconsin public processing plants are state inspected,, that is one of the reasons the processing took such a jump in $$$ a few years ago..

however, if you have a State inspected processor do your chickens, you can sell them to anybody.. and I believe this includes restaurants and grocery stores.. but I would check on this before I did it.. there might be a maximum number you are allowed to sell also.. You know, they are not going to make it easy..

DrH, I doubt that you are reading this, but my condolences to you and your family..

I think you all know where I stand on the "helping" of eggs to hatch.. put one hand on each cheek and sit on them..

Good grey afternoon folks, we hit 40º without the sun

DrH sorry for the loss, thoughts are with you

I have done the research with checking the state regs on processing/selling, here's the deal, IF you have your birds done at a licensed facility and IF you pay for the USDA inspection stamp you can sell those birds for resale i.e. in stores, restuarants, etc. Not all processors have inspectors on site and can provide that stamp. A person can sell up to 1,000 birds raised and processed on their farm direct to customers for that customers consumption,,,,
with "austerity" and the sequester you might have to call well in advance to find out when there is a USDA inspector on site at any facility...

I ended up with 15 chicks out of 20 set for that 1st hatch, I'm happy with that eggtopsy later today. I have 19 more olive egger eggs set to go to lockdown on the 28th since all if these are sold hope the % continues. I have 78 eggs in the sportsman that will go to lockdown on the 6th, these I will hatch in the same unit.I also shoved 12 of my darkest BCM eggs under the broody, she's young and this is the first time trying this so we'll see.

The next hatches will be BCM and Ameraucanas hopefully the girls keep laying,,,,,,,

bbl
dangettingthehangofchickenmath

I was going to comment about the lockdown question, but my opinion is so different than others, I am not going to even offer it.. I don't want to start an argument..

Yes, the pen is moving along nicely.. My brother came out today and helped me install the next 3 roof sections.. surprisingly enough, it went according to the plan in my head.. every section fit snugly and right to the "T".. I have to frame in the other door and then Bro will come back and help me put the last 2 sections up..

again, the dogs watched intently.. I think they will be able to do the next one with a little help from me..

......jimwithstillafewpagestoread...........
I wanna hear that opinion!! No argument from me. I was stating my observation is all.

hit.gif
Sorry about the loss of mom and dad Doc & L....dang tuff for sure. May they both RIP together forever.

Back
Top Bottom