Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Oh no, its happened again. My lavender orpington eggs hatched today and the chicks were black and funky brown striped colors. I wasn't sure what happened until I saw the feathers down the leg and one toe. That darn bantam faverolles/cochin rooster that wasn't going in his coop at night was jumping the fence and breeding my lav. girls. Now I have another bunch of mutts on my hands. And the one is super cute.

Dang it!!
barnie.gif

Gah is right! They were actually my porcelain projects. I had the rooster and one of the hens sold too. I was supposed to meet the lady tonight, but backed out so I can have more time to get chicks out of them. I couldn't believe it when I came home and saw those goofy colors. Then I saw one had feathers on the legs and noticed all of them do! That little rat. I didn't even consider the fact that since he was roosting on the edge of the pen every night, that he was actually jumping in there during the day.

This is a silly question but is anyone bringing eggs to the bash? I would like to buy around 4 doz.... I will need a dozen for the ice cream I believe.........

BBP I am so sorry about your randy roo.....

Apparently one of the birds got into the nest box and smashed an egg, so just one in there now. I'll have to start some sprouts soon.....

Bl4 I can bring eggs for sure :) lmk if you want them.
Chad, nice coop! I havent any bantem, but im sure everybody here will fill you up and then some ;-)
Bbp, sorry about your naughty roo! That stinks!
Amy, thats a ough story about your gsp :-( best dog I ever owned was gsp x. He necer payed the chickies any attention. Patience and tons of work. My hubbys chessy was obsessed. I wormed very hard last summer, and can now trust him. Im finding this summer I will be working just as hard with my new php. 6 month english bulldog x.
Psycho, I have an easter egger... I think. She lays the green color you have. She has layed an egg every day except 3. We have had her 5 months. Idk how old she is. A gift from my sis, she got her from her inlaws. I thought she was sooo beautiful ♡
Vickiw, I hear ya on the worm thing, too cute!
Irish, hi (insert waving guy)

T-ball cancelled tonight :-( we practiced in the pasture. Everybody driving by must think were NUTS lol were trying to run bases and tripping over chickens, turkeys, dogs, and the cat lol we had lots of fun!
The chickies are doing awesome. They love wandering all day. I swear their crop absolutely could NOT stretch any more than they have!

Well nighty night for me. Another 3am 12 hours for me again.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzz....zzzzz...zzz..z....

Gah is right! They were actually my porcelain projects. I had the rooster and one of the hens sold too. I was supposed to meet the lady tonight, but backed out so I can have more time to get chicks out of them. I couldn't believe it when I came home and saw those goofy colors. Then I saw one had feathers on the legs and noticed all of them do! That little rat. I didn't even consider the fact that since he was roosting on the edge of the pen every night, that he was actually jumping in there during the day

Hi bbp,
what does it take to get porcelain orps,,, did you tell that little roo the gr *** is not greener on the other side of the fence

Quote: X2..nice work
This is a silly question but is anyone bringing eggs to the bash? I would like to buy around 4 doz.... I will need a dozen for the ice cream I believe.........

Apparently one of the birds got into the nest box and smashed an egg, so just one in there now. I'll have to start some sprouts soon.....
Let me know if you need any..

BBP sorry about the horney dude..

I can bring as many as you like I think I have 12 extra dozen in the fridge from this week.......

The grass was apparently greener because the other roosters in my mixed flock don't give him the opportunities he apparently got here. My porcelains are lavender mottled crossed with gold laced. I'm on the 3rd generation now, and just finally got one single porcelain out of it. Now that we have Jubilee imports from the UK I should incorporate them. I had actually decided to ditch the whole project, but now I've come across a good deal on the rugged ranch chicken runs. I have 2 already, which run about $400 each. But I can pick up these other 2 for $280.00 (for the pair). That would be 2 more breeding pens. So, I will be separating my orps back out and waiting another 3 weeks to incubate eggs.

On another topic. I have been keeping 3 call ducklings from my group every year for the past 3 years. Every time they turn out to be females. I have contacted 4 people that bought a total of about a dozen ducklings from me last year and they are all hens. Another lady that bought 4 from me early this year says they are all hens. And the 2 I've held back are hens. I don't think my group has produced a drake. My breeder hens are all sisters, unrelated to the males. Could it be genetic: Do you think it's my incubating? I usually have about 1/2 the eggs die after development in the incubator. Am I somehow killing off the males? I guess I'm not complaining, it's just so strange.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom