Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi all. Jim too cute! Reminds me of when our dog was a puppy. He's a St. Bernard Great Dane mix and was just as fluffy.
Today was the last day of basketball for DS11. His birthday was on Fri. So I told hin he could have friends over tonight. There are six boys staying over night. Wow are they loud...and stinky!
We have lost three chickens this wintee. Also my sweet rooster Colt, who I got.from Cindy waa killed by his own son. That one really.got
The electrician is coming on Monday ao I wi

Awww too bad about Colt.
hit.gif
He was a good boy. And your not going to like his son as well for what he did.
hugs.gif
Hope he had a nicer son.

Ugh...I am up and thinking about this hatch...best advice for lockdown in a farm and fleet incubator with fan attached? Turner comes out Monday night. Need some of these to hatch!!! Fertility was low this time of year so we started with 20 eggs and down to 12 just based on those that were clear. I know there are a few that look to be early quitters in there also. But I was not positive so I left them in,
Heat has been stable between 99-100 the whole time and humidity is right around 40 and I have added almost zero water the entire time. Very humid house.

Ok back trying to sleep. Kiddo woke me up...which means my body is up then.

Good morning :D
Aw judge, so sorry about colt. And glad you are back.
Kristi, I hope your hatch goes well!
Terri, how are you feeling?
Bbl4 I am glad your kitty is feeling better!

Ugh...I am up and thinking about this hatch...best advice for lockdown in a farm and fleet incubator with fan attached? Turner comes out Monday night. Need some of these to hatch!!! Fertility was low this time of year so we started with 20 eggs and down to 12 just based on those that were clear. I know there are a few that look to be early quitters in there also. But I was not positive so I left them in,
Heat has been stable between 99-100 the whole time and humidity is right around 40 and I have added almost zero water the entire time. Very humid house.

Ok back trying to sleep. Kiddo woke me up...which means my body is up then.

Good luck to you! This is my first hatch with the same incubator. I started out with 36 eggs and now I have about 15 that showed development but I have to recandle them. My advice would be to run a tube into the reservoir and add water with a syringe. That is my set up but I'll have to see if it actually works. Lock down for me is Wednesday, I think. I have it marked down somewhere. I get worried every time I wake up that the incubator got cold overnight. It never has but this old farm house sure does!

Last edited:
I feel for you guys with those styrofoam incubators. I used them for a couple of years and finally bought 2 brinseas. The octagon advance is awesome! I get a much better hatch rate, especially with the call duck eggs. I do break out the LG once in a while when I get too many eggs going. I would love a cabinet incubator, but I have no room. The counter in my laundry room where I have mine now is 2 inches too close to the cabinets. I guess I could have my woodworker friend (who made the cabinets) come and raise them.

Last edited:
My entire set up is located in my bathroom. From hatching point to the brooder they will spend their tiny, fluffy lives in my bathroom until they get too big and the poor babies get kicked out to the heated garage. Lol Here is a pick of what they'll be roughing it in. And of course some free range in the bathroom when I clean their pen.

I am not hatching my own eggs at this point so that might had played a part in my rates. When it is my own eggs I can collect and store them at my own accord. I am almost scared to recandle as that late embryo death took me buy surprise in one of my Silkie eggs.

good morning,, it is cold and getting colder.. I thought Feb was the turn around month for winter to spring..

I always cringe when somebody cuts on the styro bators.. there is nothing wrong with them,, but you do have to learn the way to tweak them,,

If you set them up as per factory specs, you will have trouble.. and if you expect the top to set squarely on the bottom, you will have trouble..

I had eight of those set at one time in my workshop,, unheated .. in late spring into summer..
I hatched everything from quail to goose .. Nobody is going to convince me that they are no good..

chicken eggs are almost a given when it comes to hatching.. they are so forgiving if you do not do it perfectly ..

I have offered over and over to help people set up their styros .. but often I have been put aside by the nay sayers who the hatchee listens to rather than giving my specs a try ..

I am off of my soap box now..

I have to go to F&F and buy a drill bit..

.........jiminwisc..........

Neighbor wants to know if anyone on the list has Turken or Polish top hats eggs?
Me I am happy getting 7 eggs a day from 9 birds on Thursday, but not looking forward to cleaning that huge pile of frozen poop in the coop and it looks like it will be staying well frozen through the end of next week. Door to the run is iced shut only thing I really use it for is to toss in scraps and scratch so for now it will be a blitzkrieg dropping from the sky onto the ladies.... Manna from heaven in their little pea heads.
Errands today...Maybe stop at American TV and see what specials they have to sell me, new stove would be sweet. Running to Menards to get a kit to change a can light over my sink into a pendant... Have my dads exercise bike but the electronics on it are messed up so checking into trading it in on a treadmill at 2nd wind.. every decade another 10 pounds grrrrrrrrrrr, Guess I am too much like Cindy hate this cold air, but have done the snowshoeing with a crust and it sure can be a pain when you break through. Field behind the house has snowmobile trails so that makes a winters walk a ton easier. Stay well all and have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom