Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

The *grey* bird someone hatched from my eggs..
That bird is a *blue*. It comes from 100% Imported English Orpingtons. He looks beautiful..great job with him

Hey delisha, thanks! He is a beauty and very friendly. I think we got two dozen eggs from you, they were mostly mixed breeds? I think you said you included two pure breed eggs. May those have been where he came from? We ended up with Mr. Blue and a Mrs. Blue, so hopefully we will have little blue babies someday!

I am now the proud owner of a SQ Duane Urch White Wyandotte trio, I'd show pics but it was dark by the time I got home and they are somewhat in molt. I'm in love with the type on these birds! I hope to get a few shots tomorrow at least. Tyler also bought a pair of Blue Swedish? ducks I think is the name from the Neillsville swap, I am still going to beat that kid with an ugly stick one day. Everytime I downsize he adds more to the flock. Only good thing is I had the extra quarantine pen I left up just in case I decided to get a pig, goat, cow, elephant, who knows anymore. Also got 2 more Blue Wheaton Ameracaunas for my Zeus to make some nice EE. Get my Foley BLRW on the 17th, so excited. Those girls combs are getting redder by the day. One of these days I'll check for eggs and stop being disappointed. Neillsville swap was packed with sellers, not so many buyers but I still only came home with 4 of my own birds, Black Split Lav hen and her daughter, cockerel and pullet SS. I'll keep the SS for breeding and the other girls will stay to give me house eggs.

Are those wyandottes from Jeni S?

I do not recommend a heat light,, It is much safer and more economical to run a small ceramic heater plugged into a thermocube.. the thermocube plugs into the receptacle and the heater plugs into it.. it automatically turns the heater on and off at about 34 to 40 degrees.. just enough to keep water from freezing, (most of the time)..
Jim: We aren't comfortable using the heat lamp either, but resorted to it last winter. We'd like to switch to your setup, where did you get your small ceramic heater and thermocube from? I'm thinking I should be able to find them at Farm & Fleet.

Alright everyone I got some news. So Stoughton WI is having its first ever poultry swap this up coming summer of 2015. The date it will be held on is July 11th. So if your interested Please look us up on facebook at - Stoughton WI Summer Poultry Swap - give us a like and hope to see you there!
Fuxzi: Great job on setting this up! I will get it into my calendar, but as someone else mentioned you may want to remind everyone in the spring as our summers get so busy.

good morning,

had ice on the goose pond yesterday, prolly froze again, today..

I got my ceramic heaters at Menard's.. I got the thermocube there also.. the thermocubes were in the plumbing section,, ??? not in the electrical area..
I think I paid about $18.oo for the heater,, it has a blower on it also..
by the time you buy and burn out a few heat lamps, the heater is paid for,, and it puts out more heat and is more dependable.. I like the blower feature,, I direct it at the water jug ..
the heater I have has an auto turn off in case it gets tipped over..

NOTE: not many clerks at Menard's knew what a thermocube was.. keep asking until you find someone who does ..

In an emergency, I can use the heaters in the brooder to keep chicks warm.. (used without the thermocube in this application )

I went wally fishing yesterday.. caught a few smallies.. One big bullhead,, threw them all back..

found out that my heavy line is worn out.. broke too easily.. I will be restringing a couple of rods ...

found out that where we were fishing is supposed to be good for crappies,, will be rigging a crappie rod, too.. all of this just in time for the ice to form on the lakes, eh ?

Annie just called from work,, says if I clean all my tackle etc off of the kitchen table, she will make an apple pie.. she sure plays unfair.. going up to clear off the kitchen table..

...........jiminwisc..........

Quote:
Yes they are Yvette.
Sorry I can't seem to get these photos to load right.

Last edited:
Nice last minute win for the Pack today! Glad they were able to pull the last string.

Hens going broody is a instinct and can't be made to happen...in my opinion....this is the wrong time of year...anyway.

Glad the youth hunt is over..now the bowhunters can have the woods back for awhile.

Peace.... bigz

Hi all--Nice looking white birdies! I hope they do well for you. That is one thing I never seem to have too many of...seems the preds can see them the best? I always admired my neighbors' Chanteclairs...so pretty.
Speaking of predators...I have my traps set tonight with the remains of my big old turkey. I dont have too much hope of catching anything. I think it is fox...maybe coyote. My traps are probably too small...I need a game cam I think. For the past two nights they have come to first pull the bird out of the burn pile (40 pounds at least)and eat the head/crop area and the next night drag it out into the back field and eat on the rest of it. The legs and wings were left so I cut them off the carcass and set traps with them. We will see....I need one of those big ones that caught the white skinny thing with brown spots.
lau.gif

So amyhow, did anyone ever have an answer for me about the remains of just the wings? I must have missed it if you did--please repost? (thanks!)

I went to my Mom's place again today. SHe was having a tough time wondering why my Dad had to die at the end of summer instead of in the winter when everything was done...I think she has moved into the "angry stage?" Anyhow, I got the hoses drained and put away and the hose bibs turned off, carrots dug and garden plants ripped out. Helped Mom with bird baths and such...then I made dinner. Now I am pooped and my own stuff isnt done...sigh.
th.gif
At least DH picked up some stuff around here while I was gone. Back at it tomorrow for sure!

Have a nice night! TerriO

Back
Top Bottom