Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Good freezing morning everybody!

Was stuck at the hospital after an appointment on Wednesday as my positive battery terminal connector broke off and I needed someone to just jump the car to get to the auto store for a replacement. If you remember, it was blowing and wind chills of around -35f in an open area and it took me a good 20 min to finally make someone open their car hood for I could jump my car!!!
1f631.png
and then people wonder why nobody is stopping to help them if they can't stop for 2 min to just pop a darn hood...
1f620.png

All the birds are doing good though, just hiding in their houses/barn to get out of the blowing freeze while their water freezes over while you watch. I was a bit afraid for the chickens in the barn but they seem to be just fine.

Yesterday we finally had a new arrival!
1f423.png
the first batch of duck eggs that sclark got in December piped and the first duckling hatched last night. Another followed this morning!
1f425.png
1f423.png
so far we have (in our still mixed flock) 98% fertility and the hatch rate is pointing towards 100% on the duckies! Yeay!
Now I just need to head over there and see what breeds they are as I had just grabbed any eggs for her empty begging bator... Pics to follow...

Trying to stay warm with the few sticks SO left to burn. He didn't want to cut a few more after plowing last night (we had gotten about 5" new snow) and told me to "simply don't run out" til he gets back from work. Yea, RIGHT!
We pretty much don't have any firewood anymore for the past month. Simply using some mill strips and stick to hear right now. Fun I can tell you!

Gotta reload the fire and take the dogs out. Later!

Chilly Fish Fry Friday to everyone! Dang Cind...that's a close call. I always keep the ash can outside where it can't cause problems. Just way to many fires that happen when the hot ashes are left in the house...be careful, and stay safe.

I think this the coldest day all winter here. the wind is relentless and it burns the face after a few minutes in the wind today.

One needs to have a big pile Sammy....nothing worse than running out of wood...being prepared with a big pile saves a lot of un-needed stress. Might just as well have a pile ...think winter all spring and summer and fall....preparing for winter all year is easier than waiting till it's here...just sayin.

I saw Paris Hilton paid $25,000 bucks for a couple small dogs that weigh only ounces...seems like they are cheaper by the pound Jim.

Hope we end up enjoying Packer Playoff Weekend!

bigz

Hi All!

Hummm..... no Jim?

Quiet today here on the thread.

Yea, the ash bucket usually sets on a slab of cement board. It got moved (more out of the way) and no one thought to move it back. We will be paying more attention
hide.gif

Night All!

good morning, nothing much to write about..

I am going to Edgar, and then to Rib Mt. to pick up eggs from two different people..
I should end up with 14 dozen.. I can easily re-sell them..

I did not plow my driveway.. we can still get the car in and out, .. I will wait until it is well above zero before I start Ollie up..

when we used to use our fireplace, we always had someone watching it when the screen was not in place.. once we were burning hemlock and a pop sent a glowing ember about 10 feet and it landed on the couch.. good thing I saw it fly.. got to it before it burned a hole in the fabric.

..........jiminwisc..........

Good morning.

After the past few days...almost feels balmy.

With family & business's, winter is the time I cut firewood. Depending on winter
I'm going to go through at least 30 face cord. December was great for cutting, and so
far we have missed most of the snow fall ( have about 1-3" on ground ).

Finally broke down and bought a wood splitter. I save that for knots & the big stuff.
Otherwise there is little that a Fiskar cant handle.

Chickens have decided they have had enough of being cooped up, and are out & about.

Cuties I forgot to do a update. When the lb's got a little older...it turns out 3 were cockerels & 1 pullet.
Friends son will take the best cockerel, 2 for the freezer. Just about right sized flock for us 1 cockerel ( bcm) & 6 pullets
( 1 lb, 2 oe's, 1 marans, 2???? light brown layers ).

Sunshine Saturday To Everyone....sure feels good, even though the temps are mere single digets at best.

I need to snow blow the driveway with the drifting on the bottom end....however it can wait till the temps are at least in the teens. I can make it through with the 4wheel drive, so it can wait a few days.

The flock seems to handle the cold better than me, and that's a good thing they have going for them.
I carry water twice a day in this extreme weather, however once this cold snap breaks, once in the morning will stay liquid the whole day. I'm looking forward to next week for sure.

Enjoy the week-end...prolly nice to have a couple days off from starting the cold vehicle.

bigz

the PU truck started today,, and Ollie started, too.. but I am not about to ride around on a tractor to plow until the temp gets at least into the teens ,,

we sold a female puppy today,, one down, 3 to go.. the lady wanted to take 2 of them, but decided that she should try one out first..
Puppy will be living near Stevens Point ..

thinking a Pizza will be good for supper..

Pizza sounds yummy! My kids are making dinner tonight, the oldest decided we needed to have a stuffed flank steak. Maybe by 8 we will be eating.......... ;)

Spent the last few days in IL for another job interview, and had a great visit with CS. Thanks again for the eggs! I will post pics of the finished cake this weekend.

Cindy, glad you and your family are ok! Wow that is some scary stuff!
Everyone stay warm!

Annie made hamburgers and french fries for supper.. no Pizza today ..
I must have garbaged up my hamburger too much or ate too many FF's. ,, had heartburn for an hour..

the Seahawks are kicking butt..
I hope they still lose.. it is half time right now..

............jiminwisc.............

Back
Top Bottom