Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

The Avian influenza strain currently identified in the state is the H5N2 strain, not the H5N1strain. The H5N1 strain is the one to worry about, as it has infected people with deadly results.

Currently I have found no evidence of any humans infected with H5N2. The family in Juneau County could have been infected with the seasonal influenza virus that has been hanging around. If humans were infected it would make the news rounds quite quickly, just like the cases of Ebola. The CDC and the Health Department would absolutely have to report any cases of the Avian flu, and this would be public record.

Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections. Anti-virals are for fighting viral infections.

I find it interesting that it is perfectly acceptable to correct someone for passing along faulty information on hatching or raising birds, but anything else discussed is off limits. Nobody is accusing anyone of telling tall tales, just asking for conformation.

Was nice to have sunshine and something less than 30mph winds today.
Traveled a few miles....job site in Wonewoc & finished in Boaz. ALOT of strutters in the fields & valleys....would have a been a great day to be turkey hunting.

Friday I have jobs in Auburndale & Rudolph. Will be re-stocking the cheese supply when I'm in Rudolph.

I will have to check with sunnyside in May to see if they are having any issues shipping.

Chicks are doing great. Roo is kept busy trying to be their guard. They keep him moving! Last 2 nites he has been on the roost a full hour before lockdown.

Bigz....My son got his 1st Merriam ( sp? ) on Monday ( Nebraska )
And his 1st Hoosier tom ( now live in IN ) today.

Last edited:
Was nice to have sunshine and something less than 30mph winds today.
Traveled a few miles....job site in Wonewoc & finished in Boaz. ALOT of strutters in the fields & valleys....would have a been a great day to be turkey hunting.

Friday I have jobs in Auburndale & Rudolph. Will be re-stocking the cheese supply when I'm in Rudolph.

I will have to check with sunnyside in May to see if they are having any issues shipping.

Chicks are doing great. Roo is kept busy trying to be their guard. They keep him moving! Last 2 nites he has been on the roost a full hour before lockdown.

Bigz....My son got his 1st Merriam ( sp? ) on Monday ( Nebraska )
And his 1st Hoosier tom ( now live in IN ) today.
I already checked Sunnyside,, they were not concerned about the flue.. they are shipping chicks right along..

An article released yesterday regarding the avian influenza. I copied & pasted some but not all of the information. To read it in its entirety, I have also posted the link.

Risk Low for Human Infection from U.S. Strains of Bird Flu

There have been no cases of the highly infectious disease in humans since the outbreak started in the United States at the beginning of the year. This is the most widespread bird flu outbreak in North America in more than three decades.

A principal concern with any new flu virus in birds, however, is that it will mutate to become easily transmissible from human to human. "At this point we don't know very much about these viruses," said the CDC's Fry. "They have only recently been identified."
At present, she said, "it seems the risk for human infection is very low." But she added: "This is a rapidly evolving situation."
Fry said the CDC will monitor any person who has been exposed to the virus in the United States. At least 100 people have been monitored so far.
As more people are exposed, the question of how well the virus can be transmitted to people will become clearer.
"As we get into spring and summer, sunshine comes and ultraviolet light will kill influenza virus," said David Swayne, director of the USDA's Southeast Poultry Research Lab.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/risk-low-for-human-infection-from-u-s-strains-of-bird-flu/

An article released yesterday regarding the avian influenza. I copied & pasted some but not all of the information. To read it in its entirety, I have also posted the link.

Risk Low for Human Infection from U.S. Strains of Bird Flu

There have been no cases of the highly infectious disease in humans since the outbreak started in the United States at the beginning of the year. This is the most widespread bird flu outbreak in North America in more than three decades.

A principal concern with any new flu virus in birds, however, is that it will mutate to become easily transmissible from human to human. "At this point we don't know very much about these viruses," said the CDC's Fry. "They have only recently been identified."
At present, she said, "it seems the risk for human infection is very low." But she added: "This is a rapidly evolving situation."
Fry said the CDC will monitor any person who has been exposed to the virus in the United States. At least 100 people have been monitored so far.
As more people are exposed, the question of how well the virus can be transmitted to people will become clearer.
"As we get into spring and summer, sunshine comes and ultraviolet light will kill influenza virus," said David Swayne, director of the USDA's Southeast Poultry Research Lab.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/risk-low-for-human-infection-from-u-s-strains-of-bird-flu/
i like how that is put.

The Avian influenza strain currently identified in the state is the H5N2 strain, not the H5N1strain. The H5N1 strain is the one to worry about, as it has infected people with deadly results.

Currently I have found no evidence of any humans infected with H5N2. The family in Juneau County could have been infected with the seasonal influenza virus that has been hanging around. If humans were infected it would make the news rounds quite quickly, just like the cases of Ebola. The CDC and the Health Department would absolutely have to report any cases of the Avian flu, and this would be public record.

Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections. Anti-virals are for fighting viral infections.

I find it interesting that it is perfectly acceptable to correct someone for passing along faulty information on hatching or raising birds, but anything else discussed is off limits. Nobody is accusing anyone of telling tall tales, just asking for conformation.
goodpost.gif

inability to prove a negative is where the door gets opened just enough to breed theories

Anyway

How bout this weather we're havin?

Long day at the spay clinic today. 29 critters got fixed. Mostly feral cats.
Took longer than expected due to the number of female cats with litters.
One little kitty came that didn't weight enough to spay.....if she wasn't already spoken for she would have come home with me !!!!

Basically, they are dealing with a strain of AI that they have very little experience with and do not know exactly what to expect. Viruses are living organisms with the ability to adapt and modify to changing conditions, not unlike the common cold. Why do you think there is no cure or vaccine for a cold? Too many changing variables. Anyway, they are essentially in uncharted territory with this strain and are learning as it progresses. From the experience they have had with the cases so far, there have been no human cases that they are aware of, but that does not mean that the virus will not mutate and become more like the H5N1 strain. It could mutate and start infecting & killing other types of birds. It is a virus, (a deadly and very fast spreading one) and viruses are insidious little organisms.

Loving the sun, JJ! The temps can warm up a bit more any day now.

Hi All!

Irish... somehow I missed your bird loss.... hope you get whatever got them!

FT.... Good thing she was spoken for! You can't take them all! LOL

Night All!

goodpost.gif

It's possible you're both right. The family could have gone in for medical attention for something bacterial...E coli, Salmonella, etc. and been treated with antibiotics. If the flock was suspected of the cause of infection they may have been tested and then found AI positive.

Anyway, I appreciate all the posts and updates on this subject. I really wanted to take in as many shows and swaps as possible this year...now it's a waiting game to see if they are cancelled due to this.

Back
Top Bottom