Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I use it around the house foundation and around my corn in the garden. It's perfectly safe if you get the organic food safe kind. I get it at the Antigo country store for 3.50 a 5 pound bag. A lot of grain products including grocery grain products actually have some in it. It protects against bugs and clumping I guess. I put it around the house last wwek because it's the only bug killer that's chicken safe and pet safe. I know a lot of people who put it in gardens and around plants for earwigs and ants around here. Menards does carry it but idk if it's the food grade and it's rather expensive that way. The country store buys it in bulk and packages it in brown paper bags and that saves a pile of money

I will check at F&F tomorrow. seems to me I saw it there once.

Now I am headed to bed after watching the news..

.......jiminwisc...........

A little more information on diatomaceous earth:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

thanks for that link.. I read the whole thing..
I concluded that diatomaceous earth is just dust with sharp edges..

I will try to get some and dust the potato plants with it..
If it is fine enough, I will make a solution of water, vegetable oil and dia earth ..

.......jiminwisc........

thanks for that link..  I read the whole thing..
I concluded that diatomaceous earth is just dust with sharp edges..

I will try to get some and dust the potato plants with it..
If it is fine enough, I will make a solution of water, vegetable oil and dia earth ..  

.......jiminwisc........
It's as fine as powdered sugar

I use a mixture of DE, wood ash and a couple shakes of Sevin for my birds to dust. When I find a spot they like I just add the mixture to it...bye bye lice! Works pretty darn well.
According to that link Jim I would think that DE would work well on the potato bugs since they have a soft outside. When I had them one year I just knocked them into a jar of soapy water when I saw them. Knock on wood there dont appear to be any this year. I wonder if the tomato plants do help...that or the marigolds I plant around the garden?
I did find a few of those shiny, pretty ones (that I cant for the life of me think of their name!!!) they went into the soap water too. They were enjoying my raspberries and the peas. Asian something? CHinese? My brain is blocked...I better drink some water!

Have a good one! TerriO

(PD) nothing on the Buckeye eggs today yet

Raining here right now....been kinda off and on all day here...on now pretty good. The gardens here are looking good. Hope some hatch for you Terri....prolly after Monday if you guessed the wrong hatch week?

Fish Fry Friday turned out to be baked Cod, butterfly shrimp and tato salad due to the rain. Gonna be goodie for sure.

Good luck trapping mophead. I'm taking a 3 day DNR trapping class in August...I've read the 3 pdf files for questions on all the information one needs to know.....quite a lot of stuff to learn....but then I'm gonna give the legal sport a try. It's a must to take to be able to buy a Trappers license if you haven't before I believe 1992.

Have fun...bigz

Good luck trapping mophead. I'm taking a 3 day DNR trapping class in August...I've read the 3 pdf files for questions on all the information one needs to know.....quite a lot of stuff to learn....but then I'm gonna give the legal sport a try. It's a must to take to be able to buy a Trappers license if you haven't before I believe 1992.

Have fun...bigz
I grew up in a trapping household, Dad would take us with him occasionally and I would sit in the shed with him while he skinned things out. I think I am the only person I know that finds the smell of a skunk somewhat appealing...

Back
Top Bottom