Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Thank
One or two breeds or chickens?

Don't forget chickens are a flock animal with a pecking order. In order for that to be a complete and healthy system you should have no fewer than 4 with 7+ being a healthier number the fewer you have the more they'll benefit from extended interactions with you. There are of course people who will discount this but from my research that is what I gathered. Send me a PM if you/your family would like to come out and meet the flock. You are not allowed to pu lucky say your age or location on here don't forget. WD are in the very southern part of the state if that's something you would be interested in. I enjoy having people interested in chickens out so I can pass on the knowledge I have gotten so far. I'm by no means an expert though. It's also a good way for people to learn about different breeds and see chickens act in a natural way.

Also if you do get silkies as you were considering its best to get them with the other chicks or as close in age as possible and to have two or more at least so that they don't get horribly picked on for being different. I believe the same rule applies to frizzles or polish but I don't know for certain.

A good book to get is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens... Not 100% sure I got that title entirely correct but let me know. Lol

Another thing to remember is that bantams need less space generally that LF(large fowl) but all chickens will do much better with more space. It also helps to keep feather picking, fighting, bullying etc from happening. A good guideline is a minimum of 4 square feet of coop space per bird with more if they're spending any extended period of time in there. They should also have a minimum of 10 square feet of space per bird in the run. Don't forget to include a place for them to dust bathe and include a balanced diet. Layer crumbles or pellets will work fine for them. However most people like to supplement. If you decide to give them anything besides chick starter/layer feed you will need to give them grit so that they can digest it. You will also probably want to give them access to free choice oyster shell as a calcium supplement.
Thank you once again! :) This has been very helpful

Thank you...........seems our favorite birds are the ones we lose.........and, we always favor the gimpy ones.

Thank you so so much! That was a good vocab lesson (need to work on that haha). I have done a ton of reading on BYC these past two days and am planning out the coop I want to build and makin a materials list. I'm getting opinions on breeds I'm interested in as well as adding to the list I'm interested in. (Personally love bantam frizzle Cochins and their fuzzy feet) originally I planned to show my neighbor's bantams this next year in 4-H and then hopefully have enough prepared to get chickens of my own. I was planning on one or two but with all the breeds I like I suspect it will be more like five at least.

I wish you wanted your chickens now. I have 2 black bantam frizzled (I believe Cochins) that are looking for a home now. They were born in May.

Gonna try and beat the rain and get the yard work done. I always wanted a big yard but mowing 3 acres sure gets old. Wouldn't be bad if it were just on the rider but the push mowing and weed whacking become the biggest chore. Have a watermelon split in half and in the freezer for the ladies later this afternoon. I love giving them cool treats on hot days. Still thinking about blrw's. I wish cuties would post so I could ask some questions. She's got the prettiest ones I've seen

Gonna try and beat the rain and get the yard work done. I always wanted a big yard but mowing 3 acres sure gets old. Wouldn't be bad if it were just on the rider but the push mowing and weed whacking become the biggest chore. Have a watermelon split in half and in the freezer for the ladies later this afternoon. I love giving them cool treats on hot days. Still thinking about blrw's. I wish cuties would post so I could ask some questions. She's got the prettiest ones I've seen
My family just moved and my brother's chore is cutting the grass. It takes him almost three hours to cut almost eight acres on our rider.

That's just too dang much!

8 acres should be cut and baled ..

I planted some grass seed yesterday, and this morning I got up real early and covered it with straw. good thing I did, because we just had a gully washer come through.
I was driving home from town and I pulled over and let the storm blow by.. couldn't see a half a block ahead in town..

my advice to the newbie,. get one breed of chicken to start with.. it is much easier to add to a flock than to thin one..

be careful of what you read on some of the other threads on byc. there is a lot of good advice, information, but a lot of it is way off course.. before you decide what to believe, run it past us first .

If you are going to follow through and get chickens.:
decide how many you will be allowed to have..
then build your coop and chicken yard before you get any chickens...

.............jiminwisc.......

Last edited:

I planted some grass seed yesterday, and this morning I got up real early and covered it with straw.  good thing I did, because we just had a gully washer come through.
I was driving home from town and I pulled over and let the storm blow by..  couldn't see a half a block ahead in town..

my advice to the newbie,.  get one breed of chicken to start with.. it is much easier to add to a flock than to thin one..

be careful of what you read on some of the other threads on byc.  there is a lot of good advice, information,  but a lot of it is way off course..  before you decide what to believe, run it past us first .

X2. Sound advice for sure

I planted some grass seed yesterday, and this morning I got up real early and covered it with straw.  good thing I did, because we just had a gully washer come through.
I was driving home from town and I pulled over and let the storm blow by..  couldn't see a half a block ahead in town..

my advice to the newbie,.  get one breed of chicken to start with.. it is much easier to add to a flock than to thin one..

be careful of what you read on some of the other threads on byc.  there is a lot of good advice, information,  but a lot of it is way off course..  before you decide what to believe, run it past us first .

X3

Back
Top Bottom