Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I leave mine locked up until about 1PM daylight time.
by then they are finished laying.
got 4 eggs today, two were broken.
have to add more cushion in the nests.

I changed my C L ad for the chickens.
all black ones , $5/each, not selling them for egg production.

GG I think you need a free rooster or two..

...........jiminwisc.......

good morning,
no big plans for today , again.
just gonna haul the garbage bin to the road.
have Frankie tied up. the dogs were taking early morning strolls all over the neighborhood. If I tie one or the other up, the other one will not go strolling alone.

getting anxious for ordering my hilling discs.
the treasurer hasn't given me the go ahead yet.

In the mean time I am watching utube on how to use them in conjunction with cultivators..

got 4 eggs yesterday. 2 were broken.

.......jiminwisc.....

got 4 eggs today, none broken.

I retrieved the cultivator from the garden. have it in front of the garage.
I think I will be removing some teeth from it and the culter, too.

will have to devise a bracket to hold the buster plow.

I think I can use the existing brackets to hold the hilling discs once I remove a couple of spring teeth.

..........jiminwisc........

Last edited:
So dd has raised some bantams she is looking to sell...near Madison and surrounding areas. She raised 8 Buff Bantam Brahmas(4/4) and is looking to keep a trio so 2 pairs and an odd roo can go. She also raised up some partridge Wyandotte bantams and we have an extra roo for free.

anyone know anyone interested?

otherwise I am sicker than a dog... head cold/sinus infection etc...

Has anyone in Wisconsin tried to winter ducks? How do they do? Do they require more house square footage than chickens?

Also, will anyone have Barred rock chicks for sale in May? I'm looking for about six baby hens. Thanks!

ducks can most definitely be kept over winter here, think the "Appleton" part would be a bigger deal than the weather even if it is becoming more chicken friendly. ;)

I live in Greenville and one of my daughters is asking for ducks.

I'm with all of you, it's *very* wet here. It was snowing here today; I'm sick of the cold and ready for spring to really get started. My husband and I remodeled our upstairs bathroom this winter; pics of before/after are attached. It was a good project. We kept the floor, toilet, and tub/shower, painted the vanity, and redid pretty much everything else. It was slow going, but cost-effective because we had time and could compare prices.

Ordered some chicks today to replace butchering last fall. Got rid of some extra hatched out roos, some flighty hens, and some non-layers. They're due in April 26.

Has anyone in Wisconsin tried to winter ducks? How do they do? Do they require more house square footage than chickens?

Also, will anyone have Barred rock chicks for sale in May? I'm looking for about six baby hens. Thanks!

ducks and geese do well in our wisconsin winters.
be prepared, they are very messy if kept in a coop.
their main goal in life is to empty the waterer as quickly and by any means they can.
they do well if left outside with their choice if they want to go into a shelter.
mine preferred to bed down under a raised pen with the North, East, and West ends closed off and the whole South end wide open . a good bed of straw on the ground.

however, Muscovys do not do as well.
muscovys do not pull their feet up off the ground like ducks and geese do. then they end up with severely frozen feet.
I have seen those muscovys sold at auction with no feet.

I kept some one winter, but I kept them in a pen with a foot deep bed of straw. they did just fine.

I bought 6 pullets from the Marathon feed mill last spring.
they were barred rocks. the one that the eagle didn't get turned out to be a very good layer. I sold her last week..

Back
Top Bottom