Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

@chickisoup how are your new chicks doing today?
Glad they looked healthy when you got them. I wondered about Hoover and looked at their chicks, but had no other input to go on.
Keep us updated...which breed(s) did you get? How many?
jean
Hi Jean!
I ordered 12 Black Aussies, 3 Buff Orps, 3 SLW and 3 GLW. I actually only kept 7, the rest were for my fellow crazy chicken lady neighbor. I tried to take pics before she came over to pick hers up today but my batteries were dead. I plan on taking pics tomorrow tho. Way too early to know how good the coloring, conformation, etc. is going to be but they are all bouncy, healthy and friendly little eating machines. So far I am more than pleased. I promise to do a couple pics as they grow.

Hi Jean!
I ordered 12 Black Aussies, 3 Buff Orps, 3 SLW and 3 GLW. I actually only kept 7, the rest were for my fellow crazy chicken lady neighbor. I tried to take pics before she came over to pick hers up today but my batteries were dead. I plan on taking pics tomorrow tho. Way too early to know how good the coloring, conformation, etc. is going to be but they are all bouncy, healthy and friendly little eating machines. So far I am more than pleased. I promise to do a couple pics as they grow.
Did you keep some of each? Those should be fun to watch grow and feather out!
My buff orp rooster has started crowing at 9 weeks old...let the noise begin!!!

good morning,

whoever was praying for rain,,you can stop now..

Brent, the trouble with a wash out is that it will be a weak spot for a long time to come..
I would suggest filling it with crushed "road bed" .. it binds much better than granite or anything with round pebbles in it..

I was going to do some tilling today,
but it rained hard here again last night..
I might have to abandon my plans for plowing a trench for planting the tomatoes and just go dig holes in the mud with a hoe.
much more work, but I don't want to wait another week for a maybe chance that it will dry up..

........jiminwisc......

We want a rain storm go right around us last night. A few sprinkles is all we got.
Jim, feel free to send some rain our way!
Finally figured out my nest boxes, just have to modify them a bit and put them in. Probably set them up within the next month so the chickens can get used to seeing them before they start laying... hopefully that will start in about 2 months.
I noticed they are eating a lot more now. When they start laying, can I switch to feeding once or twice a day with measured food? I think I read that somewhere. I don't want them to get fat and have issues laying, but as they're still growing now they have free choice at all times.
Thanks,
jean

I can't imagine anybody in Wisc being short on rain.

I feed my layers free choice. I don't have any fat ones..
If you have fat sleek looking hens, they are probably not layers..
Annie picked up 8 eggs today. the Sagitta are prolly starting..
I think we have no more than 12 hens. we for sure have 5 roosters.

that dog in my avatar had 11 puppies on Thursday , jun 15 ..
they should be ready for new homes after 7 or 8 weeks.
pass the word..

.........jiminwisc....

More rain yet today...I'm sure it will end before it turns to snow again.
Just talked with my daughter who is a project manager forester on the Menominne Indian reservation, and the storm that just went through really did a lot of damage there. She did a fly over to check for damage and a conservative estimate is that they have 12 million board feet down....all cutting crews are now working clean up operations...they have over 200,000 acres of standing timber there...just sayin.

Yep Jim, I'm on the long list to have some road material dropped and spread. These guys use a bobcat to spread the material and do a wonderful job....I'm just hopin that they can show before I have more damage done and need to buy more loads of material. I'm wishin 3 loads will complete the job.

bigz

Did you keep some of each? Those should be fun to watch grow and feather out!
My buff orp rooster has started crowing at 9 weeks old...let the noise begin!!!
Yep!!! I kept all the buffs, two of the BAs and one each of the SLW and GLW. Think I might have goofed with the SLW tho. I picked it because of the crazy markings and it just looked so fat and healthy. I was looking closer today at the comb width and thickness of the legs and I'm thinking that "she" just might be a "he" :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention and a heads up bl4 that Glendale Farms opened today, but the peas (3kinds) won't be ready for another 3 days. I'm planning on picking with Jennie next Wed....

bigz

good evening,
Annie called DD Barby to come help me plant the tomatoes.
we got all 75 plants in. plus she brought 5 different kinds of peppers , ten of each.
it was tough going in the really wet dirt. without her help, I would have never got them in.
we dug holes, filled the holes with compost and planted the plants in pure compost.
after the plants grow, I will add more compost up around the stems.
I decided to do the Florida weave..
It rained after we got finished..

Brent, that is a lot of road mix.
I hope it does the trick for you.

had baked fish for supper.

.........jiminwisc....

ETA
good morning,
looks like facebook is whittling this site down to nothing...

Last edited:
Came back from bayfield county late last night. Our house got struck the day before we were supposed to leave and we woulda got charged either way for the cabin so we said screw it ad went anyways. We just left the power main off until we got back. Wps had to redo everything outside anyways including fuses, 2 transformers, and 2 poles. Everything seems to be working like it should. All my major appliances seem to be doing what they should. A couple of my breakers in my panel did siht the bed tho. It's a older push breaker style so Hopefully insurance upgrades it. Gotta mow grass and clean out my Chevy. Got a guy coming to look at it tomorrow allegedly

Back
Top Bottom