Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

@ chikenscratch I fermented the chick crumbles (nonmedicated) in a 2L Kool aid jug I bought at the dollar store, I was preparing 2L at a time and giving it to them over the next 2 days. With the heat and humidity it was smelling nasty by morning or the next afternoon, maybe just too much junk in the air, I don't know. I suppose I could prepare just enough for the next morning, but the temp has been all over the place the last week and it's just a pain to deal with. I will see if I can work out a better system (chick mommy guilt setting in hardcore now!)
I've been reading all the books I can get from my local library so I can't recall all the titles, but they vary in topics from raising specific animals to starting your own (profitable) 'farm' business in your backyard, canning, anything on self sufficiency. I'm currently reading 'the backyard homestead guide to raising farm animals' it's a huge book that is a companion to 'the backyard homestead' but I couldn't get that one locally and don't want to spend 24.95 on a book if it's not going to be a useful resource. I also follow several blogs on the subject and I never know what I might discover next!
Some people have problems with being workaholics or drinking, but I have a research problem!!!
Jim your tool for the garden sounds positively amazing! Glad you were able to get some things done.
@Daethen your rows are SO straight! My garden is full of wildly crooked rows. If I start a farm I should name it crooked path farm because I can't sew, plant or even walk in a straight line...lol
Take care all,
jean

Jean, look up "homesteading today" on the internet.
lots of homesteaders there and any topic you want to discuss.

I just pulled a broken smelly egg out of the incubator. I also took the one next to it.. all of the eggs directly around it had the "smell" , but I left them for now. I don't think they are contaminated..
......jiminwisc.......

Neighbor's Chicken Wants to Kill Me.jpg

This rain has been GREAT for the garden! We planted two gardens with veggies and the third with oats. The rows are farther apart than last year so we'll have about half the produce we had last year. Wayne's back is getting real bad so he can't help me much. This may be the last year for the gardens. After the chicken/bunny massacre I was going to wait to rebuild the flock until a friend's hubs had a massive brain bleed and she didn't want to have to worry about her chickens. I have her six now and that's enough at the moment. Lots of bunny babies in the barn - meaties, pets and show stock.

Nice to see you stop by Irish. What breed of chickens are the lucky 6 ?
I managed to enjoy another day of rain here too. I didn't get out to the gardens to see how much they perked up from all my tilling and weeding on Wed. More to do out there yet, but at least I've got a handle on over half of it now. Most was dressed with triple 10, so I should see a burst of growth everywhere.
Sounds like a decent day tomorrow, so make the most of it you can.

bigz

yeah, Hi Irish, long time ..

I have everything mowed and weeded.
this is a nice feeling,,,,I don't care if it is raining..
I dragged Annie to the garden to show her the hilling job. she was impressed, and especially happy because all the weeds are buried.

It is really funny. if I use a hoe, my back hurts so bad I have to sit down after only a few minutes.. but I can run behind the tiller over a half hour before I have to take a break..

I am having trouble with my picture sending. I will have to work on that.

I still have to clean out the chicken coop. there must be 2 cu yards of poop in the coop to scoop..

I had a really bad chicken egg in the bator. It looks like it exploded. the shell was wide open and empty. no indication that it was going bad..
chicks are due this weekend or Monday.
the ducks are due around July 4th.
.......jiminwisc.......

This rain has been GREAT for the garden! We planted two gardens with veggies and the third with oats. The rows are farther apart than last year so we'll have about half the produce we had last year. Wayne's back is getting real bad so he can't help me much. This may be the last year for the gardens. After the chicken/bunny massacre I was going to wait to rebuild the flock until a friend's hubs had a massive brain bleed and she didn't want to have to worry about her chickens. I have her six now and that's enough at the moment. Lots of bunny babies in the barn - meaties, pets and show stock.
Hi Irish!
I agree the rain has been great for the gardens but if it doesn't stop soon I'm not going to be able to FIND my gardens. The weeds are beginning to take over. I've even got them coming up thru the woodchips in my herb garden walkways!!!!

Back
Top Bottom