Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I make jelly when I have the fruit. we do buy jelly from the cheese factory. It is made locally by the Amish.
BL4. I figured you know about bees.
nice of you to put the hive down hill so they can coast in for a landing..
today I mowed between the two large black cap bushes. I am going to work up the dirt and bend a few canes and pin them down..
our blackberries did not blossom much again this year.
the grapes, buried deep in weeds are sending out long healthy vines. I don't have them staked. I thought I had them all dug out, but I must have missed a root or two..
we have a large wild red raspberry patch, too but it doesn't produce much..
there are some golden raspberries near the garden. they produce pretty well, but we just eat those as we pick them
.......jiminwisc.....

Hi guys and gals,
Just checking in with baby pics and crazy birth story. Our planned home birth went askew when the midwife discovered that baby was breech. Off to the hospital and in the nick of time; baby was a footling breech and had one foot coming out while the other leg was caught up somewhere. Emergency C-section for us. And we have a fifth boy :)

Tobin Alen was born on Wed, June 27, weighing a whopping 5# 6oz. Our smallest baby ever. Despite his harrowing entrance, he is such a good baby, eats and sleeps great. We and his siblings adore him!

First day home
IMG_20180630_182516_090.jpg

Car seat test before leaving hospital. He looks like a little mouse in there!
IMG_20180703_140400_955.jpg

Sibs loving on him
IMG_20180711_151315_369.jpg

@jvls1942 Thanks for the info on the Black caps. I have a small patch by the back door that is loaded with berries this year. It has only been growing for a couple of years - yep, planted by nature in an area that has been neglected. However, we have finally replaced the back door with one that actually works, and we will be building a little deck with stairs in that area next year. I am going to try to move the canes to a spot in the orchard/garden area. I will plant the tips into flower pots this summer in anticipation of moving the plants next year - maybe I can double the number of plants by then.

I think that back door was original to when the house was built - 1935 or so. The wood panels had shrunk enough and it was sagging so bad that I could see light through the cracks! Not good for an exterior door.

I have an interior swinging door that is showing its age - the joints on the outside stile are starting to let go but the wood seems good still. It is starting to rub on the trim in the doorway. I would like to get some wood glue in the joints and use a couple of clamps it get it back into place - do you think that will work for a fix? Or should I plan on pulling it down and taking it apart and cleaning the joint out before gluing it back together?

@jvls1942 Thanks for the info on the Black caps. I have a small patch by the back door that is loaded with berries this year. It has only been growing for a couple of years - yep, planted by nature in an area that has been neglected. However, we have finally replaced the back door with one that actually works, and we will be building a little deck with stairs in that area next year. I am going to try to move the canes to a spot in the orchard/garden area. I will plant the tips into flower pots this summer in anticipation of moving the plants next year - maybe I can double the number of plants by then.

I think that back door was original to when the house was built - 1935 or so. The wood panels had shrunk enough and it was sagging so bad that I could see light through the cracks! Not good for an exterior door.

I have an interior swinging door that is showing its age - the joints on the outside stile are starting to let go but the wood seems good still. It is starting to rub on the trim in the doorway. I would like to get some wood glue in the joints and use a couple of clamps it get it back into place - do you think that will work for a fix? Or should I plan on pulling it down and taking it apart and cleaning the joint out before gluing it back together?

door fix:
those old doors are worth fixing.
If it is loose enough to sag, then it should come apart sort of easily.
they are either mortise and tenon or
doweled together. If you can wiggle the joint. keep wiggling it until it gets loose and comes apart. might take a little while. just try to not break the pieces too much.
then use original gorilla glue and put it back together. do not put glue on the panels. they are supposed to float freely
clamp the door and then measure diagonally from corner to corner. the measurement has to be the same to insure that the door will be square.
If in doubt, bring it here and I will do it for you.. really ..
maybe the old outside door can be fixed also. you can use it somewhere else or sell it..
.......jiminwisc.......

chickens are different, I can remember them running like crazy for cover if a drop of rain hit them, then there are others that just don't seem to mind.
I had some asian fighting fowl. they would walk through a deep puddle just as well as walking around it.. they would stop in water that was touching their belly and just look around. made no difference to them.
of all the chickens I had. they were the friendliest toward people .. If I would stand still, they would sit on my feet.. they were free rangers, but I could pick them up anywhere they happened to be..
but they took no guff from any other bird, no matter how big they were.. even the hens ..
......jiminwisc.....

My chickens run from rain, except on certain days, then they rush outside and wander around in it ... Yesterday was a run from the rain day, this morning was bath day I guess. When I opened the pop door they all rushed out into the rain and started looking for bugs.

Nope...the black caps are ripe now, but the blackberries aren't ready till late August or mid Sept depending how far North one is picking. These are smaller berries now, but packed with flavor....

bigz

Back
Top Bottom