Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

My little January chicks are getting so big. At the rate they are growing, they'll be laying next week. ;) Ok, maybe not, but they are huge. They're my buddies, especially Barry (the barred rock, gif below) and Buffy (the buff orpington). OK, ok, not original, I know, but I don't usually name the chickens, just call them my girls. "Come on, girls!"

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Got my Exchequer eggs in today for the kids to hatch along with a handful of sapphire blue eggs (CCL rooster over Exchequer and White Leghorn hens) for good measure. I'm going to get them started, be sure I have enough developing nicely before taking in to the kids' classrooms. Fingers crossed for a good hatch for them. Finally, I get my xchex! :D Won't mind some super blue egg layers, too. I chucked in 4 Iowa Blue eggs into the mix to check fertility. Probably not fertile yet, the boy isn't acting that interested, but worth a check.

Eggs 02-21-2019.jpg

Dandy weather day out there today for sure. Not nice enough for the outside fish cooker yet, but I'll be ready to have fun outside as soon as I can.....
Stay safe this weekend.

bigz
The weather has been lovely, these last two days. Tomorrow will first sure be not so lovely.

Just finished de-icing the run roof, we will see what tomorrow brings.

If anyone has pics of there chickens ice skating or funny winter weather related pics I would love to see them.

My neighbors are excited about my chicken purchase...... and the Marans eggs! I was asked what I need to feed the birds to get those fancy egg colors.....

Put my bee order in.... just need to get one more hive.

Trying to find a place to purchase bulk orders of plants. I want to put blackcaps in somewhere on the property. I miss the flavor of those lovely berries. I want to put a few rows of sunflowers in along the road too. Need to feed the bees!

My neighbors love my chickens too....in fact I just came back from dropping off fresh eggs for them. They really appreciate them and have nothing but good things to say about them.
No snow yet....and that's a good thing!

bigz

Cold, damp, rainy day, but no snow. Girls are beginning to lay again, which is nice. (I don't put lights on them, so eggs have been spotty.)

Got my 8 year old a guitar for his birthday. He is learning the saxophone, but has been really enamored with the idea of playing guitar. His birthday isn't until July, but we picked it up this week so it wouldn't get sold (he was very attached to this particular one). He got to strum it a little today, but it's back in the case until July. It's going to be a long few months!

Tyler's New Guitar.jpg

Deep cleaned the basement chick pens and snapped some photos. Love this little one, an ayam cemani. Black on black on black. Cool looking little bird.

G197 20190223 Ayam Cemani 001 (3).jpg

They got some apple bits today, a little alfalfa block to peck at. The larger ones are getting quite good at targeting meal worms, like a pack of dogs at treat time.

I'm new to the Backyard. I live in SE WI and I have 6 illegal chickens, so I can't disclose my location. My suburb is so stuck up. My neighbors are cool with it. I asked my neighbors if they would be ok if I got 3 chickens, somehow after 2yrs they multiplied....darn chicken math. This has been a very long winter for me and my girls.

Welcome to BYC. I wish more suburbs were more enlightened on chickens, but glad your neighbors are cool with the chooks. I'm blessed to be on an acreage with neighbors that don't say much. Love my little feathered dinosaurs!

Do you have any photos of your chickens?

Welcome to the cheeseheads twendt! Hope everything continues to go well for you.
No additional light for the flocks here either....I always have luck with pullets laying all Winter their first year before they have their first molt....the older birds are taking their annual break till the days get longer.
Is it Spring yet?
At least there is a Race to watch today.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom