Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I’m in Central WI. Are you moving to a residential area or are you moving to the country of Hartland?
It looks like you need a permit for residential area and can have a max of two chickens. You need to contact the city clerk for the permit. The permit has to be renewed every year. The code said that the chickens couldn’t be let to roam.
We are still figuring out the area and trying to understand what’s what! My husband just accepted an offer with Northwestern Mutual yesterday, so it’s all VERY new. I’m hoping to fly out within the next couple of days and scout out the area. We currently live in a neighborhood that technically doesn’t allow chickens, but we cleared it with all our neighbors before acquiring them. Our county allows up to 6 (hens only), and our neighborhood is just kind of lax. I’m wondering if that’s a common thing in the Hartland area or if people there are sticklers for the rules 🤣

We are still figuring out the area and trying to understand what’s what! My husband just accepted an offer with Northwestern Mutual yesterday, so it’s all VERY new. I’m hoping to fly out within the next couple of days and scout out the area. We currently live in a neighborhood that technically doesn’t allow chickens, but we cleared it with all our neighbors before acquiring them. Our county allows up to 6 (hens only), and our neighborhood is just kind of lax. I’m wondering if that’s a common thing in the Hartland area or if people there are sticklers for the rules 🤣
Error on the side of sticklers because I know when people break the rules they have to get rid of the entire flock and aren’t granted a permit again.

Hi, everyone! My family and I are preparing for a move to the Milwaukee area. We currently live in Richmond, VA, so it’s a big move! We are looking specifically at Hartland because of the more rural setting, bigger houses (we’re a family of 7), and excellent schools. Anyone here from that area? I’m not sure if we’re able to bring our 5 sweet Golden Comets with us. The kids are going to be devastated if we can’t, but I’m not sure if the logistics of moving chickens that far or even the legality of chicken keeping in that area. Any advice or insights? Thanks!
I don't know the chicken ordinance for Hartland, but I'm pretty sure most towns around here are pretty chicken friendly as long as you have a couple acres or more unless you are in a subdivision as they tend to have their own rules. I am a product of Arrowhead should district, though, and I can definitely vouch for fantastic schools and a wonderful area to live in!! You can't go wrong with Hartland, Merton, Sussex, Town of Oconomowoc (where I grew up), or Town of Lisbon, where I live now. I'm leaving out a bunch but it's just a great area😊 Highly, highly recommend Merton Feed (the mill) for all your chicken needs. Family run for generations, they are wonderful, knowledgeable, and always willing to take the time out of their day to help.

Hi, everyone! My family and I are preparing for a move to the Milwaukee area. We currently live in Richmond, VA, so it’s a big move! We are looking specifically at Hartland because of the more rural setting, bigger houses (we’re a family of 7), and excellent schools. Anyone here from that area? I’m not sure if we’re able to bring our 5 sweet Golden Comets with us. The kids are going to be devastated if we can’t, but I’m not sure if the logistics of moving chickens that far or even the legality of chicken keeping in that area. Any advice or insights? Thanks!
Which Northwestern Mutual location? The Corp HQ?

I am down by Delavan. I43 is a great commute highway to downtown (it takes about 45 min to get to the outskirts of Milwaukee from Delavan) so you have a very large area to choose where to live. Many of those areas have fantastic schools, Mukwonago is a nice location ( I have a classmate who has raised his kids there)..... also take notice of what county you end up in. The taxes differ quite a bit between the counties and there are also emissions regulations for some of the counties around Milwaukee.

Personally, I would look up the township ordinances on keeping fowl, and if necessary call them and ask before settling on a specific area.

Also; you may end up renting. The real estate market here is nuts, everyone is leaving IL so there is very limited inventory and prices are high.

Welcome to WI! The land of cheese and Friday Fish Fry!

I have nothing to add. I live way north of all of this.
I am going to try to reclaim the old grape arbor. That is all I am going to say about it right now because I have no idea how I am going to do it. I removed all the posts and wires a few years ago. Now the vines are all lying on the ground in a tangled mess.
the new arbor is doing fine. the one year old vines are growing. a couple have reached the top wire and I topped them off.
we are in an air pollution advisory. There is a wild fire in Canada and the smoke has reached us. It is like morning fog,,,,all day. burns my eyes..
the resident doe snuck up behind me when I was sitting on my chair watering the tomatoes. I startled her when I stood up. she was just 20 feet away.
so far, she has left my garden alone.
we have a second stray cat. They have cleaned up all the red squirrels and chipmunks. as far as we can tell, there are only 3 rabbits left.. Go kitties ..
Did you watch the Bucks games ??
.......jiminwaUSAu.......

HI all!
Been years since I been on the site, recognize several names still, ive just been letting life get busy.
anywoo...building a new sooper coop!! lol :celebrate
been overwhelmed with trying to figure out which auto door to get that will still work in our cold winters!
it's going to be under a full roof, but the enclosed run will have about 1/3 of 2 walls will have hardware cloth, so it'll get plenty cold even if it doesn't get coated in ice and snow.
I prefer a dawn/dusk sensor and also a timer option.
all help and ideas appreciated.
Amy

Hi Amy, Robin has a pop door.
I am working hard on my perennial garden. right now it is grapes. I am doing a lot of research. I have to learn the best way for me to train the new vines. I am also reclaiming the old neglected grape arbor. The wires and posts are long gone. everything is lying on the ground in a tangled mess.
I miss not having my guinea hens. So far the wood ticks and asian beetles have not come back..
........jiminwaUSAu.......

Hope everyone enjoys their FFF! Tonight it's Fresh cut fries and lightly breaded cod loins.....bacon broccoli salad for starters and of course a adult beverage for wash.
Hope the good life continues for all...this is as good as it gets!

Stay Safe...bigz

Back
Top Bottom