Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

@babylady4 Nice job on the meat birds!
I can relate to that being a lot of work shown in that picture. A lot of good eats there.

First 2 batches of meat birds, I processed by myself (4 birds, then 12 birds). Then DH bought me a feather plucker - so now he helps when I process. The next time, I killed the first couple, then he killed and plucked and I butchered. Now we have a couple of friends that want chicken, so we have helpers. This is the deal - they help butcher all the chickens and then they get to share in the bounty. They pay their share of feed costs, bedding costs, etc based on how many chickens they take. Last butcher day was our first with this arrangement and they can't wait to do it again.

I think I need to figure out how to do bigger batches of broilers. 21 birds, split 3 ways doesn't feed a family for long. One friend would like to have 20 for himself, lol.

We got frost last night. First frost of the season.
good thing I had picked all the tomatoes that I wanted. They were pretty much done anyway - what was left on the plants was either split, bird pecked, over-ripe or rotting.

Next year I will do better.

We have all the equipment (cones, plucker, bags, etc.); we usually have two extra pairs of hands to assist. This time it was the two of us. They charge over $5per bird here (Depending on the number you bring in).

28 birds processed in 4.5 hours..... then packaged in about an hour.

I ordered 90 birds this year total; ended up with 80. Not too bad.

How many birds do you usually raise at a time? Are they all for your own use?

My last bunch was 21, but I might try to do more for the next time. We are doing bunches to share because that way we can leave for a weekend and have one of the other couples come over to feed and check on them.

I ordered 30 at a time, 3x this year. I figured that was enough for us, and when the kids visit I send a frozen bird or two home with them.

The first two batches I overlapped, so we had baby chicks and almost butcher weight at the same time..... took three weeks off before the last batch. Not sure if I want to do that again as your whole summer is dedicated to raising chickens,

We ended up buying a small chest freezer to accommodate all the birds; the overflow goes into the big upright.

Re: processing birds. Not sure if you can or want to invest the money but a local Amish community near us will process birds for $2 a pieces, which saves a lot of time and energy for us.
where in western wisconsin are you, I am in western area also. Taking birds to the amish something I possibly consider.

where in western wisconsin are you, I am in western area also. Taking birds to the amish something I possibly consider.
we are near Baldwin-the community was in Baldwin as well. I can get the information from my husband if you want. You do have to go there to make an appt :)

Now I am getting worried…… Jim? Brent? Where are you? I hope all is well…..

House goes on the market on the 4th…… 🎉

Spent the weekend in Door County with the daughters….. great weekend and beautiful scenery….. always love Door County. It is a shame they are allowing the overbuilding to happen….. it changes the charm of the place.

A0710797-2CF4-4099-8F94-56E95C6E9CAA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom