Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
we keep the eggs out some times for days and as far as in the fridge.... well ya they're normally sold within the week. can you believe that I bring 6 dz to church every week! and they're gone before I walk back into the building (after church of course) traded someone 6 dz eggs for some maple syrup!
big_smile.png

DrH has inspired me to call someone about our ditch, we lost our garbage can to the ditch, it was in there at least 2 weeks before my dad notcied it was in there. water finally got low enough to see it.
nothing more here, night all!

we also sell our eggs out about twice a week.. You can keep eggs in the fridge for eating up to a month.. the ones you buy in the store can be 3 months, old, I am told.. I personally do not eat an egg if it is over 3 days old.. I have fresh ones every day, why should I eat old eggs ??

Hurley, could those be black cap raspberries? If they are hollow after you pick them , they are raspberries.. blackberries have a solid core..

I wouldn't mind having a couple of mulberry trees.. I didn't think they were winter hardy.. I'll bet they do make some good wine.

...........jiminwisc.........

Good Morning Everyone! Only got sprinkles here. raim give it a try maybe they'll do something about it, don't know if you don't try! It's still sinking in that we may never have water problems again. Sorry to hear about the gos Jim! Free berries
lau.gif
2:51 AM what the H? Gonna hit the woods this morning finally looks to be a nice week coming. The sun is shining!
celebrate.gif

Keedokes, eggs will kepp a really long time if you store them right. There was an article in Mother Earth News awhile back that addressed this very issue.

In Europe, they don't even put them in refrigerator cases in the grocery stores, so you can certainly keep them in your egg bucket on your counter for awhile before you refrigerate. It blew me away the first time seeing stacks of egg cartons in the aisle and not the case.

The article I read found that the eggs that keep a high quality the longest were ones that were unwashed and refrigerated. The had gone as long as three months, I believe, and were still testing some eggs for a future article update. Not washing keeps the natural coating on the egg that keeps the egg from drying out.

My experience is this: I wash my duck eggs, because as some of you know, ducks aren't as neat as chickens in their nests. But then I coat them lightly with olive oil to seal the pores of the egg back up. Then I store them in the basement for up to three weeks someitmes until I take them to the resturants where I sell them. Once they get to the restaurants, they go in their fridges.

Once I got a call from someone in Madison who desperately needed duck eggs, and I wasn't willing to drive mine from Green Bay to Madison for this guy on a spur of the moment (although I do ssll all the eggs in Madison, every other week). This guy ended up getting in touch with one of my other customers and bought some old eggs from him. What I didn't know until later was that the eggs were freaking 7 MONTHS OLD! He used them and served them to customers and said they were perfectly fine, a "little set" he said, but otherwise quite good. Sheesh!

Another key is that once an egg is refrigerated, keep it there. Don't take them in and out, as quality will be reduced.

Well all, figures that today is the nice day of the weekend. I have to drive those eggs to Madison in a bit and go see my boys. One graduates in a few weeks! The yard work will have to wait till next weekend now.

Toodles!

Vicky

Its a wonderful, bit chilly, morning. I just started a new job doing custodian work, so I begin be at work at six. Which means getting up at 5 to shower and walk across campus. I love hearing all the birds, and the seeing male mallards who like to hang out in a puddle by our dining center. The chickadees are chirrping everywhere, and I got to see a male cardnal yesterday, all puffed out. It makes me think of something I read once, questioning the enjoyment bird watchers get while walking through the woods, when every call they hear equates to, "This is MY tree!" and "I'm the sexyist!"

good morining, I just found this on craigs list..

SWAP MEET sponsored by the 4-H
DATE: May 14, 2011
TIME: 8 am till ?
PLACE: Forest County Fairgrounds: Crandon, WI
FOOD and BAKE SALE provided by the 4-H
Asking a $5:00 donation for setting up. Bring your own tables.

Swap your Plants, Crafts, Antiques, Animals: Horses(require coggins test), Chickens, Rabbits, Cats, Dogs or Whatever(almost)
Call 715-649-3369 for more info

here is another one:

Saturday And Sunday May 14 & 15
8am - 5 pm

Vendor admittance noon friday may 13th.

2 miles north of westby 4 miles south of cashton

s1061 Hwy 27

HELD RAIN OR SHINE FREE GENERAL ADMITTANCE
vendor spaces $25 per unit (unit = 1 truck or 1 truck & trailer)
NO ADVANCE RESERVATIONS NECESSARY
pay at the gate

EXPECTING
gas engines, tools, machinery, antique tractors, parts, old farm equiptment, crafts and collectables, something for everyone!!!
sorry no animal sales

Contacts
John Wangen (6O8) 6O6 O1O3

Jay Cox (6O8) 269 66 86

Ed Crick (6O8) 632 ll57

visit westernwisconsinagriculturalmuseum.com

Beautiful chilly, breezy morning all!

I don't remember if they were hollow, Jim, but something in my vague memory says they were. Will pay more attention this year.

Planted Maggie's pussy will yesterday along with a burning bush down by the entrance to our driveway and a lilac tree along the ditch in front of our house in a gap in the trees. Also planted a trio of peony bushes - they always remind me of my mother, glad to have them in my yard.

Got Tye Tye in his bibbers and will be headed into town with my little 4 x 6 trailer to stuff it full of mulch for the young trees (and to look for a couple more trees if I find what I want). Thomas and Daddy are sleepin' in.

Carol, if you want to come pick up that trio of Marans, I'll be around this afternoon. Will pm directions.

We had PROM last night here in town. It is always fun to watch the kids show up in their ballgowns and suits. They look so grown up.... my oldest DD was in attendance as well, so we had a psychotic afternoon of getting hair and make-up done.

With all of the activities going on there was a bit of a damper thrown into the mix; a friend and well known member of the community passed away yesterday morning without warning (much too soon IMO....) this was a lady who I have had coffee with almost every day at our local coffee shop. I refinished a giant wardrobe for her a few years ago...... sorry but this is going to be one tough funeral to go to. She was the love of her husband's life.... they were that couple that you see very rarely anymore..... the ones who have been married forever but yet when they look at each other from across the room he still has the devilish glint in his eye and she will still get that little smile on her face.... an amazing couple to know and I am grateful that I was able to get to know them.

Ok, I better go, I need to crank out some more soap.... do something constructive....

Enjoy the day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom