Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
I started that about 3 yrs ago, I get a side of beef, a whole pig, from a farmer we know very well, hunt or grow any other meat we need. What turned me off of store meat was they are injecting it with who-knows-what, yuk, and like you say the conditions store meat is raised double yuk, plus the best thing is I can get what every cut I want, this year I started to get my roast with the bone in, its beef the way I remember. I render my own lard too

Us too, haven't bought grocery store meat for maybe a year now. Just looking at the meat in the store makes me
sickbyc.gif
We have wonderful friends and relatives who share venison and fish, and we split a pig with my folks, and of course the extra roos. Probably the best food decision we've made, well second to raw milk that is.
droolin.gif

Happy Hot Afternoon All!!
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!!

CC-I love love love the shepherds hook idea! That is fantastic! I have some for the hanging tomato planters....I will have to repurpose (sp) them! I can't put the rabbits on the ground and have them run around....since they are two does and a buck I think I'd get over rabbit-ted very quickly! I admit it would be easier but since they are the start to my meat herd, I want to be able to plan the kits births.

DrH-The guy who did the work actually wanted to do more to make the garage/car port look more cohesive, since the previous owners sided one part of the car port with OSB and not out door paneling. The weather has taken it's toll and will need to be replaced when we re side the house and garage. Hopefully I can re side next summer. Once that happens then the house and garage will look much nicer!

Cind- thanks! I like the lattice too! The hens are all hidden and they get tons of sun light.

FT-I have plenty of chickens....thanks though...LOL!!

SOUTHERN BASH INFO:
From the few responses I got about the potential location place, the only park the got more then one "vote" was Mukwonago. I know nothing about this park so I don't know if it will be adequate for what we need. Does anyone know or have they been there?

Quote:
DH & I can stop there & check out the restroom facilities. What other requirements do we need?

I'm glad the shepherds hook idea was a hit. I think my DH came up with that one? Works like a charm. I've got 2 out there now, but am going to add a 3rd. Just make sure they are good, sturdy ones, though, if you're using them for waterers. Those cheap Chinese ones are good for squat.

MLH, you could let the does run around & leave the buck caged. Or rotate them.
hu.gif

Kris, the BOs take a little longer to start laying. I think mine were a good 23-24 weeks old when they started. At least.

Cind, you are so darn lucky! I wish my DH would get the chicken math fever. And I don't know where these people find the time to spend so much time in the kitchen either, let alone do all the rest of the stuff they do in a day. I got the coop & carport all cleaned out this morning. Whoopie!
lau.gif

welcome-byc.gif
kingdr85! I don't know what Special black & browns are, but if the chicks are handled a lot, especially by kids, then I am sure they will grow up to be pretty friendly birds.

Hope everyone has a great day, and don't overdo it in this heat!

Quote:
She looks part stork with those super long, skinny legs.
lau.gif

That is similar to how I was afraid any of my chicks would wind up looking when I just had my banty roo & my PRs. Tiny little body on some huge stork legs.
gig.gif

She is cute though. I really like her coloring. Big tail too. How old is she(?)?

Where do you get your raw milk from? We dairy farm and from what we understand is it is illegal to sell any raw milk to consumers. I guess if you are not paying for it... Just curious - as we would love to sell raw milk. So much better for you than store bought... we do send ours to Swiss Valley and we know the rules and regs in order to send our milk there - so if we ever do need to buy store bought - we will buy anything that has the Swiss Valley logo on it. I feel safer doing it that way
smile.png

What is that odd ball chicken? Sure has some gorgeous coloring to it though.

So, my chicks were hatched out on May 30 - can anyone tell me when I should expect them to start laying. They are RIR and Golden Buff. The second batch was hatched out the following week (june 6) and those are all polish... I have read so so so many conflicting stories on this... I would love to hear what your opinions are as to when I should be watching for eggs.

As far as my ducks - they are seasonal layers, correct? So I am going to assume that they will not lay until next year?

Store bought meat... I am so ready for my broilers to be ready - I am sick of buying chicken, and every time I do I just cringe at the thought of how they were raised and what has went into them... we never buy beef from the store either - we raise our own steers and butcher twice a year. Always and abundance of beef here. Hubby "hunts" but never shoots a thing (probably because he is up in his treestand snoozing....
lau.gif
) And we do fish, but we usually throw them back.

I'd love to find someone who knows how to make turkey bacon - that is about the only type of turkey I buy in the store (from here on out I will raise one a year for our thanksgiving meal....) We don't eat pork though.

Good evening! Man--it is pretty warm in here! (OK HOT!) Maybe this is the "last hurrah" of summer? Just in time for the kiddies to go to school eh?
Cind--that bird looks like a game cross to me. I have some with that same coloring but they sure dont have loooong legs like that one! I just came in from feeding mealworms to my birds...they are slowly learning that they ned to take them out of my fingers if they want lots. There was a gold one tonight that got the lion's share! I even taught her a "stupid chicken trick!" She would jump up about 2 and a half feet to get the mealworm! It was kinda cute!

I used to get raw milk when my neighbor was milking her family cow. Man, that was goood stuff! I could actually drink it too...not like the store milk! It makes the BEST yogurt too!
Raim...if you want to give my email to some of those people that want chickens you can...it seems that every time I post of CL I get flagged and removed. THere are some real flagging Nazi's on the Madison/Milwaukee lists I swear! If I post on Janesville I dont get flagged!

I guess I need to go and sort my mealworm colonies now...man that sounds like I really need to get a life! I have a lot of pupae in there and I want to start another one...more worms for the girls!
Have a great night! Terri O

ETA:
I am definitely making that Zucchini soup...just not tonight!
And---I got an egg today from the Ameracauna pen!!!! Only problem was that it was a black mixed layer that laid it! It was pale tan with white spots!
barnie.gif
How old are they again Jim? These are the ones I got from you at Beaver Dam this spring...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom