Wisdom teeth removal cost question

Thank you everyone! This was hugely helpful.

Even though I was confident in my choice and my decision, the blasted ex always makes me second guess myself.
I went to that site Geo. Thank you!

I plan to stick to my guns and have DS use the dentist that we have always used and are comfortable with. The exDh can go jump in a lake....as long as he leaves his 1/2 of the payment on the dock...
big_smile.png

Ughhhhhhhh!

Yep, tell that ex to go jump in the lake, your son is priority, not pinching pennies to compromise good dental care from his own dentist he likes really well.

Do you have medical or dental insurance? My daughter had to have all four of hers out. 2 were straight pull and were under dental insurance. 2 were surgical and went under health insurance. That is the best way for it to happen coverage wise, because the two teeth maxed of the dental benifit and I would have had to pay for the second 2 out of pocket. Total bill was aroound 1,500 but with insurance I only had to pay about 180.

It all depends upon the difficulty.

Are they full bony impacted?, partial bony impacted, tissue impacted?, erupted?
Full boney $400 each, Partial bony $300 each. Tissue Impacted $180-$220 each, if you can see them when you look in his mouth, $135 to $190 each depending on the roots.

Add $300 to the price if he is being put under.

I would be upset if I were your husband too. GET A SECOND OPINION!! Have his x-rays sent to the x's dentist and get a quote.
It's only fair. I see other dentists rip people off every day... and it upsets me.
somad.gif

OK, getting down of my DDS soap box now.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread.

I still have all four of mine in. They crowded my teeth and they are hard to reach if you need to do a root canal or filling, but they're all still there. However, if they decay too much, I will have to pull them. Right now, I have insurance, but it has a cap and it will still be expensive from what I've learned in this thread.

Quote:
Thanks Mahonri

The dental surgeon said that 2 were full bony impacted and two were partial.
He is a surgeon that we have used for the other DS's teeth 3 years ago. He is very thorough and showed us the xrays, explaining the position of each tooth and what removing each one would/could involve.

The other problem is that we live in VA. The ex lives in NY. I have no intention of letting the child go there for a major oral surgery with no one to care for him afterwards.
The ex has only seen him (by his choice) a dozen times in 10 years so that makes me very nervous.
sad.png

My top two wisdoms were pulled... didn't cost any more than plucking any other tooth.

But that was specifically at the Affordable Dentures place... the specialize in plucking.

BUT the two lower ones are embedded in my jaw, the cannot just be plucked like another tooth. THOSE are going to be no fun at all, and we'll be dealing with that in Feb/Mar when Income Tax Return is in. I'm hoping AD can handle those too, but I don't know... afraid to call because if I have to find an oral surgeon up here I know it'll cost a LOT more. Plan to keep an eye on this topic for estimates!!

ONE tiny bit of advice... make sure they inform you precisely where the incisions are. DH had his out in HS and they didn't tell him/his mom... he assumed the cuts were on top, you know, where the tooth woulda been? But they were on the sides. He put the gauze on the TOP and had some really painful, really GROSS issues because of it. Think his healing (and rest which effects healing) would have been better with that teensy bit of intel.

Also if at all possible, get the pain scrip filled BEFORE they operate... that way you'll have the pills ready to go when the anesthesia wears off.

Oh and swelling. Swelling peaks 24-48 hours AFTER the tooth is pulled. It'll hurt the first 24 hours, but then the real fun starts... but once it peaks it starts going down... the first day sucks, the second is WORSE, then it eases into better.

OH and NO STRAWS. Suction can suck the clot right out and cause dry socket... not something anyone would wish on their enemy... well, okay, maybe their enemy but not a friend!!

Last edited:
I feel your pain right now - $ and physical.

Have a bad molar and no matter which way I slice it at least $1500 to fix it. We don't have dental.

SO my husband asked me to wait a month while he gets dental put into place through his work.

hit.gif
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom