Wish I was ready for goats! craigslist in Vermont

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Henrietta23, Feb 3, 2009.

1. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Whooo-wee...can't beat that deal!!

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    If only!!
    [​IMG]

3. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

all of my goat friends have come via Craigslist...keep checking in and when you are ready to have some goats there they will be! [​IMG]

4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I will! Maybe I should stop looking until then and getting myself all upset. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I caved in and emailed for more info. We'll see if she's still available.

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! Won't everyone be surprised to see the goat in your bathroom!!! Good luck, I hope you get her.

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Don't laugh, that could happen!!!
    We do have two large dog houses that our ducks aren't using since they moved in with the chickens (their choice). They could easily work as at least temporary housing. It's the fencing that's the issue. The ground is frozen and I know the duck fences would not hold a goat.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  8. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I would be a little skeptical. If you do end up getting her, look her over for mites. Ask about any health problems such as mastitis, bloat, sore mouth, etc. Check out http://www.jackmauldin.com/diseases.htm for a pretty good list of diseases, causes, symptoms, and cures.

Check her feet, eyes, gums, and ears. Just look her over very well. The worst thing to do is get a sick goat. It is very heart wrenching trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with them, etc. (Personal experience! [​IMG])

9. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

byrandom you are right.

I've been very fortunate in that the folks I've gotten my "free" goats from have been very nice people with either too many goats or a goat that they couldn't stand. One very nice woman had bottle fed her two wether LaManchas and didn't want to feed them up and eat them like her husband wanted her to. They were like her children.... so they came to live with me....away from the husband.[​IMG]

That said, I did have extra de-worming, hoof trims and shots to do once they were home just to catch them up to the others.

I'm at my limit now with five pet goats. I was so pleased today to see Gimli (the goat they couldn't stand) playing today! I've had him since September and he was very afraid of life. He wouldn't stay in his former owner's pens and they chased him a lot. He's still shy but how great to see him playing! And no... he doesn't try to leave his new home here. Whew.

You shouldn't regret a pet goat. I just love mine. But as byrandom said, free isn't always free and I HAVE spent quite a lot of money on mine to make them happy and comfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by