Wish my silkie were broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Chickita, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    My one silkie chicken was the first to lay eggs. I'm so excited! However, I wish she would sit on them. She has a little pile of 6 eggs and no interest in hatching. These are her first eggs. Does anyone know if it takes time for them to want to hatch? Since she's a silkie hen I thought that she would be more likely to be broody.

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chirping

Mar 3, 2011
    It might take some time but they usually dont start sitting untill a month afther there first egg and some hens just are not intrested in having a family but since she is a silkie there is a very strong chance she will hatch some eggs for you. good luck with your hen

3. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:That's!!! I hope she does! My husband doesn't want to get an incubator so I really hope she decides to hatch some. I'm just dying to be a "chicken grandma!" I've never hatched any and my husband doesn't want to unless one of our chickens gets broody. Thanks!

4. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Be careful what you wish for....once a silkie goes broody, they don't want to stop! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: