Wishbone attacked by a cat

happyisclaire

Hatching
Sep 21, 2016
Hi all. I have had 3 ladies for 6 months. Today one of them Wishbone has been attacked by a cat. She has a large wound with a flap of skin hanging. Wound has been cleaned with hibiscrub and antibiotics collected from vet.
I'm quite worried as she is so docile and didn't flinch once.
Main question is should I keep her in the house to prevent flies/maggots. If yes what should I feed her and what else can I do to try keep her safe and well?
All advice greatly appreciated.
Claire. X

Hi :welcome Claire

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear about Wishbone being attacked :hugs The hibiscrub and antibiotics should really help keep any infection at bay. Her being quiet and lethargic is more than likely a sign of shock from the attack. Keeping her seperate and quiet will give her chance to get over this shock and keeping her warm will really help. I find scrambled or hard boiled chopped egg great for when birds are under the weather. Also extra vitamins and minerals are good in their water. Here are some threads on shock that I'm sure you will find helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Shock+#

Good luck with her and I hope she is well again soon :fl

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your injured bird. Yorkshire Coop has given you some good advice...hope Wishbone heals soon.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Thank you for replying. I've just checked her and she seems calm for now. Fingers crossed for a good recovery. X

Yes, keep her indoors - to protect her from flies. Maggots can cause hideous wounds much worst than the initial attack. They can also migrate through the body doing major damage.

Welcome to Backyard chickens and I am sooo sorry to hear about poor Wishbone! KEEP HER INSIDE AT ALL COSTS!!!! I had a duck get injured by my dogs and it was my first time with wound and I did not know what to do and he got infested. It was so bad.

Back
Top Bottom