WK #3

Pics
I would not cover any vent holes. They are needed for a proper air exchange especially during lockdown.
Lol..tape removed, paper egg crates inserted to stop the roll-the eggs are smaller than crates so they can be in them -reclined but not completely on side-is that ok or is straight up and down better? From diagrams, assuming pointed end shld be closest to center than air cell end?

Lol..tape removed, paper egg crates inserted to stop the roll-the eggs are smaller than crates so they can be in them -reclined but not completely on side-is that ok or is straight up and down better? From diagrams, assuming pointed end shld be closest to center than air cell end?
Pointed end down. My guinea eggs are a little small for my egg trays and have a little wobble. I don't worry about it.

I would not cover any vent holes. They are needed for a proper air exchange especially during lockdown.
So, these aren’t really vent holes or part of the vent system. These openings are for the auto turner, but are still present in the lower priced manual system. I bought mine last year to be a hatcher for staggered hatches, but could not get the humidity anywhere near high enough for hatching. I ended up talking with a Brinsea engineer who assured me that the holes were meant to be filled (with the turner) and that if I wanted to run it without the turner, then the holes need to be taped up.

I’m still using it as my hatcher as needed, and for that purpose, I both insert a moist piece of sponge (it’s yellow in the pics below) into the turner tube and tape the opening at the top. There are still two other vent locations that maintain airflow and I leave those open. I also add water at the side where Brinsea intends water to be added. With all of that, the humidity ranges from 60-75%. When it’s closer to 75% I remove some tape from the turning tube. As the humidity drops, I add water to the sponge and cover the tube opening again. I just ran downstairs and grabbed this photo, plus moved the new pearl pied keet into the brooder with its earlier hatched clutchmates. I have a continuous thermometer/hygrometer that shows the temp and humidity during the day (dipped a bit low at 59%), spiked as the keet hatched, then plummeted when I opened the incubator to remove the keet.

Sydney, you don’t need the humidity anywhere near this high right now, so if you are able to maintain temp and humidity with the turner tube open then it won’t matter if the tube is open or closed. I don’t have the turner on this model, but if you are getting it, I imagine it will fill the space anyway. Brinsea was also really great with customer service if you want to call or email to talk with them about any incubator issues.

Attachments

• EC9AA159-8591-4A41-94F4-F861C1AD5A22.jpeg
    EC9AA159-8591-4A41-94F4-F861C1AD5A22.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DB6D6EE8-23D2-4473-86BE-ABAEED0C2FAB.jpeg
    DB6D6EE8-23D2-4473-86BE-ABAEED0C2FAB.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 4
  • B048A8CE-5373-4C7A-B6CA-44554FF0539B.jpeg
    B048A8CE-5373-4C7A-B6CA-44554FF0539B.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 5768EB0A-51A0-4C92-AED2-E8689F457018.jpeg
    5768EB0A-51A0-4C92-AED2-E8689F457018.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 4
  • AE02025C-8619-497C-9B4A-0416725411E1.png
    AE02025C-8619-497C-9B4A-0416725411E1.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 3
:caf Thank you ( and good morning!). Humidity isn't really my issue either way right now, that is staying in the mid 20's. and yes, unit will be here Sunday. I'm more concerned abt temp fluctuations. By the time I went to bed last night, I was happy bc everyone had been staying at 99.5°. 1st thing this a.m., 102°.:barnie Lowered temp,and did put tape back, but did so bc I think it maintained temp better. The Chinese steam eggs to eat at 113°.

Last edited:
@R2elk - reassurance, you can't see well on her pic, but the plate above thermometer has vent holes with corresponding ones in outer shell of unit, so there are still vents. The place she has the tape over that tunnel, there's the hole in the center plus further up that the tape is covering is a slot that the turner fits into. As I said, humidity isn't a big issue, but I had wondered early on how that helped stabilize heat. Neither Manual nor handbook addressed at all.

:caf Thank you ( and good morning!). Humidity isn't really my issue either way right now, that is staying in the mid 20's. and yes, unit will be here Sunday. I'm more concerned abt temp fluctuations. By the time I went to bed last night, I was happy bc everyone had been staying at 99.5°. 1st thing this a.m., 102°.:barnie Lowered temp,and did put tape back, but did so bc I think it maintained temp better. The Chinese steam eggs to eat at 113°.
Oh ouch! Mine has been great about no temperature spikes! Is the unit near an interior wall in a room with a pretty stable temperature?

I think Rosie may be rebelling. She hasn't laid an egg every day this week and the ones she has I'm finding cracked on drop board. 3 now. Think she's miffed abt being confined?
She likely hasn’t found a place that she find to be a suitable nest, so she is just laying wherever when the mood strikes... Do you have any nest options for her in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom