WK #3

Pics
She's been housecleaning & digging but not using spot she dug out. Today she dropped a shellless one. That happened twice early in season so I added a supplement from manna pro esp for egg development w/o further incident until today.
Either I humanize my animals too much (probable) or there's more to these birds than given credit for. So often what I read tags their key feature as not being very smart,not having memory retention. Lucy went missing 6/30,& Rosie hasn't been allowed to free range since. I spent the day cleaning the coop, was abt done, thought since she'd already dropped, it'd be ok to let her free for a bit. Phfft. Off she went, boys in tow. But I watched- she went to where Lucy's nest had been, in field behind us. Not even Nugget has bothered to go out there before.
From there she went to where her nest had been, out front in field south of our neighbor. Then they all came toddling back to the run.
I tried to record Blu saying "Barree" so you guys cld hear. I can hear it, but I think all you'd hear is the interstate (yes, we're living John Cougar's "Little Pink Houses").🙄 Bothers me less than Himself, but it's where he grew up, so he remembers when it wasn't there.

She's been housecleaning & digging but not using spot she dug out. Today she dropped a shellless one. That happened twice early in season so I added a supplement from manna pro esp for egg development w/o further incident until today.
Either I humanize my animals too much (probable) or there's more to these birds than given credit for. So often what I read tags their key feature as not being very smart,not having memory retention. Lucy went missing 6/30,& Rosie hasn't been allowed to free range since. I spent the day cleaning the coop, was abt done, thought since she'd already dropped, it'd be ok to let her free for a bit. Phfft. Off she went, boys in tow. But I watched- she went to where Lucy's nest had been, in field behind us. Not even Nugget has bothered to go out there before.
From there she went to where her nest had been, out front in field south of our neighbor. Then they all came toddling back to the run.
I tried to record Blu saying "Barree" so you guys cld hear. I can hear it, but I think all you'd hear is the interstate (yes, we're living John Cougar's "Little Pink Houses").🙄 Bothers me less than Himself, but it's where he grew up, so he remembers when it wasn't there.
Poor girl! I think that guineas think very differently from people, but have their own skill set. I have also found that they remember old nest sites for a long time. That’s why I had so much trouble with Violet - her nest site was across the street, and it took her months to stop trying to get to it. As for shelled eggs, I think that stress can cause that, as can low calcium. Does she have oyster shell available?

egg turner and new hygrometer arrived, the eggshell temps are staying around 100°(w/3 thermometers giving various temps, I like checking the egg) and Rosie has finally settled herself and has 2 eggs in her nest, with shells. She defies that whole laying by noon theory, was the one early on that wld trot back to the coop in the afternoon like a little kid needing to go potty. Lol.
The grans were here today and excited to see the incubator; promised we'd candle next time they come over. Reading old posts there were some where r2Elk told ppl there wasn't much to see except air sack when candling before 14 days, so that shld be abt the right time for show and tell w/the little ones.

egg turner and new hygrometer arrived, the eggshell temps are staying around 100°(w/3 thermometers giving various temps, I like checking the egg) and Rosie has finally settled herself and has 2 eggs in her nest, with shells. She defies that whole laying by noon theory, was the one early on that wld trot back to the coop in the afternoon like a little kid needing to go potty. Lol.
The grans were here today and excited to see the incubator; promised we'd candle next time they come over. Reading old posts there were some where r2Elk told ppl there wasn't much to see except air sack when candling before 14 days, so that shld be abt the right time for show and tell w/the little ones.
I had one guinea hen that laid her egg right at 4 PM every day.

Back
Top Bottom