WK #3

Pics
So that wld mean the hen would have had 1 buff gene regardless of her appearance-I can see that being the case, bc his 1st cock is
was his pride and joy so chances are-. I misunderstood what she was saying-I thought it said they had to be pearless, but actually it says the lower the degree of pearling, the darker the shade, right? So if the gray female who is semi-pearled/pied has the buff gene, I get the brown. But if it had been the lavender hen, I would have had opaline/porcelain? So how do you get the cinnamon, or is it the same? And why -not sure if it was Peeps or one of the other ladies-I think it was Peeps, bc she talked about the brown skin on their necks - have cinnamons w/red eyes?
I have never seen anywhere that they made any claims about what a cinnamon's color genetics are. The only place I saw anything about the red eyed cinnamons was on the old GFI forum. All those old threads are gone now and that forum is pretty much worthless. They had been doing something on Facebook but I don't know any more.

There just isn't enough good information on guinea fowl color genetics.

Last edited:
There just isn't enough good information on guinea fowl color genetics.
Hrmm..now I get to bore you w/my curiosity, bc that's what I do:gig
If you take the guinea aspect out of it and just focus on genetics, I think it would go like this:
Leucism- describes characteristics resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest (cells from the embryonic ectoderm germ layer giving rise to a diverse cell lineage) to skin, hair, or feathers during development, but not the eyes. The causes are varied and unrelated,such as piebaldism, Waardenburg syndrome, vitiligo, Chédiak–Higashi syndrome, and Melanophilin mutations.
More common than a complete absence of pigment cells is localized or incomplete hypopigmentation, resulting in irregular patches of white on an animal that otherwise has normal colouring and patterning. This partial leucism is known as a "pied" or "piebald" effect. Although inherited, the amount and patterning of color can vary between adults and offspring,can skip generations if leucistic genes are recessive. The ratio of white to normal-coloured skin can vary between generations, different offspring from the same parents,& members of the same litter.
Affected plumage lacks melanin pigment,resulting in white feathers, unless the normal plumage colour also comprises carotenoids (e.g. yellows), which remain unaffected by the condition.
The reduction of pigment in leucistic birds causes feathers to weaken and be more prone to wear. In some situations, this can hinder flight, which, in addition to leucistic birds usually being more conspicuous, can heighten risk of predation. There is also evidence that leucistic birds might, on occasion, not be recognised or accepted by a potential mate.
Albino-Due to the lack of melanin production in both the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) and iris, those affected by albinism sometimes have pink pupil due to the underlying blood vessels showing through. However, this is not always the case and many albino animals do not have pink pupils. Albinism results in the reduction of melanin production only,melanocyte/melanophore is still present. Thus, in species w/other pigment cell-types, albinos are not entirely white, but instead display a pale yellow colour.
Red eye is lack of pigmentation in iris, allowing the blood vessels of the eye to be seen. Since this is said not to be always the case in leucism or albinism and not affected by neural crest, it wld seem to be a defect in path of neural tube to optic cup formation.
Where as- I think her name was Bemma?- was going all out breeding more pied, it seems that atleast some yrs back, many breeders in Oz wld cull the pied keets-I assume bc they deemed it a defect.

Hrmm..now I get to bore you w/my curiosity, bc that's what I do:gig
If you take the guinea aspect out of it and just focus on genetics, I think it would go like this:
Leucism- describes characteristics resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest (cells from the embryonic ectoderm germ layer giving rise to a diverse cell lineage) to skin, hair, or feathers during development, but not the eyes. The causes are varied and unrelated,such as piebaldism, Waardenburg syndrome, vitiligo, Chédiak–Higashi syndrome, and Melanophilin mutations.
More common than a complete absence of pigment cells is localized or incomplete hypopigmentation, resulting in irregular patches of white on an animal that otherwise has normal colouring and patterning. This partial leucism is known as a "pied" or "piebald" effect. Although inherited, the amount and patterning of color can vary between adults and offspring,can skip generations if leucistic genes are recessive. The ratio of white to normal-coloured skin can vary between generations, different offspring from the same parents,& members of the same litter.
Affected plumage lacks melanin pigment,resulting in white feathers, unless the normal plumage colour also comprises carotenoids (e.g. yellows), which remain unaffected by the condition.
The reduction of pigment in leucistic birds causes feathers to weaken and be more prone to wear. In some situations, this can hinder flight, which, in addition to leucistic birds usually being more conspicuous, can heighten risk of predation. There is also evidence that leucistic birds might, on occasion, not be recognised or accepted by a potential mate.
Albino-Due to the lack of melanin production in both the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) and iris, those affected by albinism sometimes have pink pupil due to the underlying blood vessels showing through. However, this is not always the case and many albino animals do not have pink pupils. Albinism results in the reduction of melanin production only,melanocyte/melanophore is still present. Thus, in species w/other pigment cell-types, albinos are not entirely white, but instead display a pale yellow colour.
Red eye is lack of pigmentation in iris, allowing the blood vessels of the eye to be seen. Since this is said not to be always the case in leucism or albinism and not affected by neural crest, it wld seem to be a defect in path of neural tube to optic cup formation.
Where as- I think her name was Bemma?- was going all out breeding more pied, it seems that atleast some yrs back, many breeders in Oz wld cull the pied keets-I assume bc they deemed it a defect.
Wow, lots of fascinating info. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of guinea specific info that I've found, but it makes sense that many of the rules that apply to genetics and birds in general would apply. Definite food for thought.

Sydney, you have gone where I went this winter when I captured a Leucistic Red Tail Hawk on one of my trail cams. My discussion with my nephew who is an ornithologist about the ramifications of being leucistic didn't really go here and the hawk with its mate didn't seem to be suffering from any abnormal condition, but it is something to consider. I do worry about my white hen(Ebay) being way more obvious in the woods, except for in the winter when she has some advantage with the snow. I'd post the vid , but not sure how many people want to see a hawk on a guinea forum 😔.

Sydney, you have gone where I went this winter when I captured a Leucistic Red Tail Hawk on one of my trail cams. My discussion with my nephew who is an ornithologist about the ramifications of being leucistic didn't really go here and the hawk with its mate didn't seem to be suffering from any abnormal condition, but it is something to consider. I do worry about my white hen(Ebay) being way more obvious in the woods, except for in the winter when she has some advantage with the snow. I'd post the vid , but not sure how many people want to see a hawk on a guinea forum 😔.
I had to stop and let all of that info bake in my brain for awhile before I go further. Though it's about genetics, it's about pigment and color which is light refraction on an object. So when it says "except those colors w/yellow in them, which are unaffected". Yellow is a tertiary color; I think the only color it isn't in is white, and I'm not sure abt that bc we've all seen white fade to yellow. Mb I'm over thinking it, but that was my first thought when I read that sentence.
But yes, I was also thinking I guess if I ever have a pied, I should test it's hearing- mb that's why some are so loud. Lol. And it all started w/wondering how one gets cinnamon, or if cinnamon is really brown, and why some end up w/red eyes. To me, cinnamon wld be reddish brown, but I've seen many claims of cinnamon that to me are brown.

I’d love to see it!

Me too!
[/QUOTE

OK, First of all some details. After deer season and our deer are butchered I take them a ridge or two away from my house and feed the various winged and furred predators. Kind of a litmus test on what's around. So this is a a compilation of a couple videos that I put together and in the end when you see the stand off I never did get the "white hawk" in the video with the two others, but I assume the leucistic hawk is a female because the other two were always sparring. I have seen her in a cut hay field this summer dining on something, and if you look close you will she a band on her leg which I had my ornithologist nephew try to track down and with his connections with federal bird people in Washington DC, he found three that were banded , one in Tenn, one in Ga and one in Pa. But there could be others not reported to them.
Here ya go.

Back
Top Bottom