Wobbling Chick? *UPDATE* 7-12-12

mondotomhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
Sturbridge
I have a 2 1/2 month bantam hen. She can run (fast!). She does normal chicken things such as scratching the ground. She will fight others for treats. However, she cannot just "stand". She wobbles very badly. She rocks back a forth and has very jerky mannerisums. She cannot roost anymore because she will fall off the roost. She is sleeping in a nest box now.

What could be wrong? My sister said it could be neurological. Also, she said she should of been vaccinated at the hatchery for whatever is wrong with her. (I bought her at a feed store along with 6 others who are fine). I've read other posts which come close to my chicks symptoms and alot say something about vitamins.

I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Your sister is probably right about it being neurological. I am not sure what she is talking about with the vaccine. Maybe she thinks the bird has Marek's? A vaccine is offered for that...maybe you should do a little research on Marek's and see if that seems to fit what is going on with her.

A bird that young with Marek's would be dead in no time. They just don't have the immunity to fight it. I would try this vitamin protocol...
.5mls poly vi sol, without iron, once daily. 400 ius vitmain E twice daily.

A bird that young with Marek's would be dead in no time. They just don't have the immunity to fight it. I would try this vitamin protocol...
.5mls poly vi sol, without iron, once daily. 400 ius vitmain E twice daily.

Thank you so much leadwolf1. I really want to help her. She is a fiesty thing
love.gif

You are very welcome. Now, if she has some other kind of neurological problem, this will not help and it can take up to 2 weeks for improvement to be seen.

Well, I got the vitamins for her and it was easy enough to give them to her as she would eat if I held her. Her wobbling so bad that she couldn't feed herself and the other chickens picked on her endlessly. She got much worse and her legs started to go to the side. My vet said it could be conjenital (sp?) or she could have tumors on her spine or it could of been neurelogical (sp?). I had her put to sleep by my vet.

Anyways, she was a fighter and I loved her
love.gif
hit.gif

I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Did the vet recommend a necropsy to be sure of what happened?
Well, I got the vitamins for her and it was easy enough to give them to her as she would eat if I held her. Her wobbling so bad that she couldn't feed herself and the other chickens picked on her endlessly. She got much worse and her legs started to go to the side. My vet said it could be conjenital (sp?) or she could have tumors on her spine or it could of been neurelogical (sp?). I had her put to sleep by my vet.

Anyways, she was a fighter and I loved her
love.gif
hit.gif

If any other chicken would start showing symptoms, I would recommend a necropsy..just to make sure. I am sorry, I hate losing babies :(

Back
Top Bottom