Hen cant walk and when does wobbles with butt in the air.

Khathaway09

Chirping
Nov 28, 2020
Columbus, Indiana
Last Spring I bought 7 black sex links and 7 calico princesses, all 8 to 10 weeks old. All of the calico princess slowly died one after the other. Their symptoms would be very wobbly when standing and their wings would catch them and butt in the air. They would still eat and drink. I've treated with corrid, vitamins and wormer (All treated in a different manner due to unknowing what it was and no chicken vet near us) I'm not sure if these hens were vaccinated or not. Also, I've had 2 of my hatched (1 hen and 1 rooster) die as well but others out of the hatch survive. I'm so confused and at a loss of why I can't keep them alive. I feed Kalmbach 17% layer feed and they free range all day and get put up at night.

Last edited:
I do think that Mareks could be possible at that age. Usually, they may lose balance, and can have a weak or paralyzed leg or wing. Some may starve themselves. Dehydration or overheating in hot weather, or coccidiosis could be a problem. Check the feed for any mold and look around the area they range for any poisonous plants, lead shot or chips of paint, or automotive spills. If you should lose another, I would have the state vet in Indiana perform a necropsy to look for the cause and to get a diagnosis. The body should be kept very cold, not frozen, and taken to the lab soon after death. Mareks testing can be done later if the vet suspects that. This link has your state vet lab in Dubois or W. Lafayette:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I do think that Mareks could be possible at that age. Usually, they may lose balance, and can have a weak or paralyzed leg or wing. Some may starve themselves. Dehydration or overheating in hot weather, or coccidiosis could be a problem. Check the feed for any mold and look around the area they range for any poisonous plants, lead shot or chips of paint, or automotive spills. If you should lose another, I would have the state vet in Indiana perform a necropsy to look for the cause and to get a diagnosis. The body should be kept very cold, not frozen, and taken to the lab soon after death. Mareks testing can be done later if the vet suspects that. This link has your state vet lab in Dubois or W. Lafayette:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
No mold in food. I've had some die in summer, fall and winter so not specifically hot or cold. I treated with corrid even though there wasn't blood due to google searches. Treated with vitamins, and wormed. There isn't lead, paint chips or spills that I know of where they free range. I don't believe we have any poisonous plants around and if there was they would be dead in the winter I would hope. I will look into the vet link you said. If it's close and this one dies I will send it in. Thank you.

Let us know what happens. Be sure to tell them it is for a backyard chicken, and ask if they can give a discount. I hope that you can find the problem.
I hope I do to. It's hard when you raise them and then they die before laying or when they start laying. A lot of money goes into it and no production.

No mold in food. I've had some die in summer, fall and winter so not specifically hot or cold. I treated with corrid even though there wasn't blood due to google searches. Treated with vitamins, and wormed. There isn't lead, paint chips or spills that I know of where they free range. I don't believe we have any poisonous plants around and if there was they would be dead in the winter I would hope. I will look into the vet link you said. If it's close and this one dies I will send it in. Thank you.
Did you give the vitamins at the same time as the Corid?

Their symptoms would be very wobbly when standing and their wings would catch them and butt in the air. They would still eat and drink. I've treated with corrid, vitamins and wormer (All treated in a different manner due to unknowing what it was and no chicken vet near us) I'm not sure if these hens were vaccinated or not. Also, I've had 2 of my hatched (1 hen and 1 rooster) die as well but others out of the hatch survive. I'm so confused and at a loss of why I can't keep them alive.

If it's close and this one dies I will send it in.

No. Vitamin B12 was given after corrid to replenish the B12

Last Spring
I've had some die in summer, fall and winter so not specifically hot or cold. I treated with corrid even though there wasn't blood due to google searches. Treated with vitamins, and wormed.

So you currently do have a bird that is sick or are you talking about the past?
If so, photos of bird and poop?
How old is she?

You've treated with Corid. Dewormed with what and dose?

You "replenished" with B12 for what? The Corid? Corid is a Thiamine (B1) analog inhibitor, so while B12 (Cobalamin) won't hurt her it's not replenishing anything due to giving Corid. If Corid is dosed and given correctly, it should not cause any deficiencies.

If your hen is not able to walk, I'd start her on B-Complex which should have all 8 B Vitamins, give her 1/4 tablet daily along with 400IU Vitamin E. Give her a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E and give a little protein boost.

I agree, it does sound like you are dealing with Marek's disease. If you lose another bird, then sending the body for testing will give you information. Just knowing what's causing the decline will help you know whether what you see if treatable or not.

So you currently do have a bird that is sick or are you talking about the past? Yes, I currently have a sick pullet, not laying yet
If so, photos of bird and poop? Poop is normal.
How old is she? She was born in the later summer, August

You've treated with Corid. Dewormed with what and dose?

You "replenished" with B12 for what? The Corid? Corid is a Thiamine (B1) analog inhibitor, so while B12 (Cobalamin) won't hurt her it's not replenishing anything due to giving Corid. If Corid is dosed and given correctly, it should not cause any deficiencies.

If your hen is not able to walk, I'd start her on B-Complex which should have all 8 B Vitamins, give her 1/4 tablet daily along with 400IU Vitamin E. Give her a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E and give a little protein boost. I have rooster booster on the way, should be here tomorrow.

I agree, it does sound like you are dealing with Marek's disease. If you lose another bird, then sending the body for testing will give you information. Just knowing what's causing the decline will help you know whether what you see if treatble or not. If it is Marek's why are the rest of my bird not affected? It's only been my younger ones (less than a year) after I bought the 14 pullets in March of last year. I'm not saying it isn't I just thought it was really contagious.

Back
Top Bottom