Bird isn't breathing right , sounds like liquid in the air way , all help is appreciated

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
Hey byc I have five birds that when they breathe they sound like they have water or fluids in there lungs / air ways . You can't really here it on video but they're also acting kind of lethargic, it's also spreading bird to bird it was one then 3 now like 4 or five

Here is my best way to describe what's going on:
My hens are getting sick 1 about 3 years the other few are like 3 months.
They seem to have some sort of liquid or flem in there airway and makes it sound like there not breathing well, there also lethargic and seem to sneeze a lot, a few of them wheeze when I pick them up, my buff Orpingtons comb is turning black slowly and she's not laying eggs anymore.
They have been showing signs for about a week and a half but I didn't think much of it at first.
There are 10 birds in the pen and half of them have the same symptoms,no signs of trauma or bleeding.
They are eating and drinking , they are dinking a ton of water , like so a concerning amount.
I feed them kalmbach 17% layer feed!
Poop seems normal and healthy,I haven't done any treatment,.

I'm trying to find out what's wrong so I can fix them and I don't have to get a vet involved , I found one just in case though. They don't have a real coop ,they sleep in a large metal cage with a oosting pole and a tarp ( I'm working on building a coop)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like some type of respiratory disease. If you can give more info about their symptoms
Well they just sound like there having a hard time breathing, they are also sneezing and one of them wheezes when I pick her up
we could probably help you more. Check out the Sticky for this Forum for the information to post.
This is a dumb question but how do I do that

Well they just sound like there having a hard time breathing, they are also sneezing and one of them wheezes when I pick her up

This is a dumb question but how do I do that
Sorry, from the number of your posts and your membership length I thought you knew. Go to the Forum name (top of this thread), click on it, and the first two posts could prove helpful to you.

Looks like this once you click on the Forum name. Or just click the brown "FORUM" button at the heading of this website, where you go to pick your Forum. These are the two posts I'm talking about (the Sticky).

1687813119466.png

Sorry, from the number of your posts and your membership length I thought you knew
No I just haven't been on byc much recently!
. Go to the Forum name (top of this thread), click on it, and the first two posts could prove helpful to you.

Looks like this once you click on the Forum name. Or just click the brown "FORUM" button at the heading of this website, where you go to pick your Forum. These are the two posts I'm talking about (the Sticky).

View attachment 3556693
Thanks

Here is my best way to describe what's going on:
They seem to have some sort of liquid or flem in there airway and makes it sound like there not breathing well, there also lethargic and seem to sneeze a lot, a few of them wheeze when I pick them up, my buff Orpingtons comb is turning black slowly and she's not laying eggs anymore.
They have been showing signs for about a week and a half but I didn't think much of it at first.
There are 10 birds in the pen and half of them have the same symptoms,no signs of trauma or bleeding.
They are eating and drinking , they are dinking a ton of water , like so a concerning amount.
I feed them kalmbach 17% layer feed!
Poop seems normal and healthy,I haven't done any treatment,.

I'm trying to find out what's wrong so I can fix them and I don't have to get a vet involved , I found one just in case though. They don't have a real coop ,they sleep in a large metal cage with a oosting pole and a tarp ( I'm working on building a coop)

What size of "coop" and what size of daytime run do you have for them?

@Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive any idea what this could be?

In the meantime, if one of them dies, put their body in the fridge and then you can send to a state vet for a necropsy (if you want to know definitively what they have, this is the best way to figure it out). Not trying to be unfeeling, just wanted to let you know. I very much hope no one dies and your hens recover, but they don't sound good.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

What else are you feeding/giving treats, etc., besides layer feed?
Do you provide Grit (Crushed Granite) free choice?

Drinking a lot of water - check to make sure everyone's crop is emptying overnight.

Photos! Poop, birds, housing, etc.? Thanks!

The Orpington - how old is she? Photos of her? Not laying eggs anymore, then she may have some type of reproductive disorder which can be common in laying hens. Cancer, EYP, etc. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

Check everyone for lice/mites and if possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem.

What size of "coop" and what size of daytime run do you have for them?

@Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive any idea what this could be?

In the meantime, if one of them dies, put their body in the fridge and then you can send to a state vet for a necropsy (if you want to know definitively what they have, this is the best way to figure it out). Not trying to be unfeeling, just wanted to let you know. I very much hope no one dies and your hens recover, but they don't sound good.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Coop for 7 of them is 4x5 I believe, and 3 of them are in a mid sizes dog crate

What else are you feeding/giving treats, etc., besides layer feed?
Do you provide Grit (Crushed Granite) free choice?

Drinking a lot of water - check to make sure everyone's crop is emptying overnight.

Photos! Poop, birds, housing, etc.? Thanks!

The Orpington - how old is she? Photos of her? Not laying eggs anymore, then she may have some type of reproductive disorder which can be common in laying hens. Cancer, EYP, etc. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

Check everyone for lice/mites and if possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem.

I only feed layer feed , sometimes a handful or two of cracked corn, no grit ,
I can get photos and stuff in a bit .
Then Orpington is almost 3 her hatch date is somewhere in August of 2020

Back
Top Bottom