Wobbly but Sober

NuttyNookNuggets

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
First post here, worried about one of my girls.
*Please note, I do not have access to a vet that sees chickens around here, however I can usually get antibiotics used for livestock/poultry
- Fledgling is a 3 month old Olive Egger (not yet laying) found wobbling around and being tripped over by the others yesterday afternoon. I noticed when examining her legs that she was holding her beak open when breathing. No sign of ANYTHING I can possibly think to check her for... no injury, swelling, discharge, lethargy, diarrhea, mites, scales, bumblefoot, toenails are fine, no curling toes or wry looking neck etc. She has been quarantined in the chicken hospital for over 24 hours now. She is eating, drinking, pooping, spunky and sassy, no longer holding her beak open but still totally unsteady. No one else in the flock of 20 others show any unusual symptoms, food and water has been good and fresh, coop, ventilation etc. They do escape and free range often lately but don't roam far from the coop. I am thinking a fungal infection and wondering if I should try an antibiotic. But if so, which one?

The only new thing to their diet I can think of is mullberries. They haven't had too many but they just came into season and we have a lot here. Other than that their snacks and feed have been consistent. Still getting grower feed but mixed with some layer because there are a few older hens in the flock. Suplemented with crushed red pepper or Ceyanne, garlic and all the good green herbs. I can take a picture of her trying to walk when I take her out to clean up the cage in the morning but ahe is in a quiet room away from our cats and we only have a dim light in there.

And no new birds at all. We had 3 older girls left and added her and 17 more chicks, they have all been together outside for a month now I think

3 month old Olive Egger (not yet laying) found wobbling around and being tripped over by the others yesterday afternoon. I noticed when examining her legs that she was holding her beak open when breathing.

She is eating, drinking, pooping, spunky and sassy, no longer holding her beak open but still totally unsteady.
Can you please post photos of her and her poop?

A video of her movement/actions may be helpful - upload video to YouTuBE and provide a link.

The Mulberries, is she eating those free choice from under a tree or are you just giving them as a treat? How ripe are they?
Does she act like she's drunk from too ripe of Mulberries? Likely you'd have other pullets acting the same way - but think about whether this is a possibility.

Panting/holding the beak open when being examined was likely a stress response from being handled if she stopped that once the examination was over.

Work on hydration and her eating her normal feed. Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom