Wobbly chick

petersonc

Hatching
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Anybody know what is wrong with my chicken? She came to us completely normal acting. Then at about 2 weeks of age, whenever the pruned her feathers near her vent, she would fall on her back and we would have to flip her upright. Then she started getting wobbly when she walked and now at 6 weeks she has a hard time staying upright. She is not as nearly as big as the other chicks her age. My girls are going to be heartbroken if she doesn't make it. But it does not look good. What is wrong with her? She is the shakiest chicken I have ever seen.

is she eating normally and what are you feeding her. You might need some medicated feed to get more vitamins in her. But if not i am clueless.. SORRY. I'm not a chicken expert ..

I am feeding her medicated food for baby chicks. She is now in the house in her own special bird cage so that I can keep an eye on her. I bought some vitamin liquid at the pet store but it does not have very much in it. Can she take people vitamins?

Last edited:
crush up some B vitamin and put it in her food. Also put a drop of liquid polyvisol without iron in her beak. If it is a vitamin issue this will fix it. I had two start showing symptoms of unsteadiness and weakness. Would stumble and then began walking on its haunches then the foot started curling in. The second one I caught earlier and it was better by the next morning. The medication in the chick started blocks absorption of vitamin B and it seems to bother some chicks a lot and some not at all. I would start with this.
OIh, I used people b complex tablets

Last edited:
I took her to a bird doctor today. She got a B multi shot and another vitamin but the vet thinks she is dying of a neuralogical disease. Whatever it is it is not able to be passed to the other chickens. The other chicks are doing great, we got them at the same time as Tipsy. The vet said she would be surprised if Tipsy would be alive at this time next week. We are hoping for a miracle. The vet doesn't believe it is a lack of vitamins because the other chicks eat the same as her and they are not having issues. I am still going to give her more vitamins. It is hard for her to eat because her legs are now useless and she can't sit up without the use of her legs. I am holding her next to her food so she can eat.

If it is a vitamin deficiency, how long before I see some improvement after receiving her shot? Tomorrow I am picking up vitamins for her at GNC.

If it is a vitamin deficiency, how long before I see some improvement after receiving her shot?  Tomorrow I am picking up vitamins for her at GNC.

with the second one that I caught right away...she was better by the next day. the first one who had the symptoms for a couple or three days before treatment it took several days but I could see some difference within a day or two

I took her to a bird doctor today. She got a B multi shot and another vitamin but the vet thinks she is dying of a neuralogical disease. Whatever it is it is not able to be passed to the other chickens. The other chicks are doing great, we got them at the same time as Tipsy. The vet said she would be surprised if Tipsy would be alive at this time next week. We are hoping for a miracle.  The vet doesn't believe it is a lack of vitamins because the other chicks eat the same as her and they are not having issues.  I am still going to give her more vitamins.  It is hard for her to eat because her legs are now useless and she can't sit up without the use of her legs. I am holding her next to her food so she can eat.

I had eight tolbunt polish chicks in the same pen and only two had the issues and all with the same feed amd water

Back
Top Bottom