Wobbly duck... Help!

@ak2787 nothing has worked yet :( :(

I just took my duck that has the same symptoms as yours to the vet. He believes it's botulism. I started it on niacin for a couple of days then switched to brewers yeast, he said it would be dead if I didn't do that and to continue brewers yeast until it's recovered. He said it probably would have improved on its own if I didn't bring it in as long as I kept up the brewers yeast but he also put the duck on antibiotics to help clear it up faster and make sure there's no complications. I was worried about the cost but my visit plus the meds was only $19 just in case you are worried about that. The vet specialized in poultry in school and has his own ducks so I trust him. Good luck!

@Miss Lydia
He is the same. No better, but no worse. I did the molasses treatment over the weekend, but he is still wobbly. He is eating like a champ and drinking well though. He is still having diarrhea, but there is much more fecal material than before, which tells me that he is eating better. He is still pitched at a 45-degree angle when he stands/walks.

He still is doing what I can only describe as a silent quack. He does it a lot when I pick him up (as I have been doing as of late). It's so bizarre.

Miss Lydia, thank you for the kind words.

It seems to be almost a neurological problem. I think the next step is to find an avian vet.

I just took my duck that has the same symptoms as yours to the vet. He believes it's botulism. I started it on niacin for a couple of days then switched to brewers yeast, he said it would be dead if I didn't do that and to continue brewers yeast until it's recovered. He said it probably would have improved on its own if I didn't bring it in as long as I kept up the brewers yeast but he also put the duck on antibiotics to help clear it up faster and make sure there's no complications. I was worried about the cost but my visit plus the meds was only $19 just in case you are worried about that. The vet specialized in poultry in school and has his own ducks so I trust him. Good luck!

I just saw this! That is great news! I think this will be my next move as well. I've had them on brewers yeast since got them. What kind of antibiotics did the vet give you?

Just got home from the vet. He isn't sure, but he feels confident that it's not botulism. We took an x-ray; no metal in his belly. He said that there are many things that it could be; including hepatic encephalitis...:(
So, for the time being, we're treating with an abx, anti-inflammatory and tube dress.

@ak2787 I wish that my bill was only $19 bucks. Mine was $295. Ouch.

I hope my little guy pills through. :fl

So it has been 12 days since I first started treatment for my little ducky, whom I have named Cash. He was on metacam once a day, and an antibiotic twice a day, as well as a tube feed to keep his nutrition up. The vet didnt know what it was.

So now, 12 days later, and we're running out of meds (metacam is gone), and he is no better. He is a little worse... and now, one of his flock mates (another Pekin) is starting to show to same symptoms of odd neck movements, and wobbly walking.

I am at a complete loss, and feel like this is my fault. I am completely heartbroken.

@Miss Lydia I haven't, because they don't seem to like the brewer's yeast (they wouldn't eat the food with the yeast in it). I was told by someone on BYC that nutritional yeast isn't as effective as brewers.

It's the other way around Nutritional yeast has more B3 than Brewers yeast does.
They need Niacin in what ever way you can get it into them. Buy Plain Niacin crush it up and put into the water or mix Nutritional yeast in their feed but you need to do this.

Back
Top Bottom