Wobbly duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ambe0487, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I've noticed my 3 week old duck has been wobbly since born. I am feeding non-medicated starter (I have ducks and chickens together) and supplementing niacin in the water daily. I'm using a gallon watered and have been putting 200mg per day in there. She doesn't seem to get more sure on her feet. What should I do next to help?
    I've considered switching to game bird but is that enough niacin for ducks?

Thank you all so much for your help!

2. eggtra credit

eggtra credit New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Hello Amber, I had the same problem a few weeks ago. One of my two ducklings got so bad that she ended up on her back with both feet straight up in the air. Thought she was a gonner. Based on my research It was either a niacin deficiency, which you are already treating for, a neurological problem or worms. I too added niacin to both their feed and water. I also added food grade diatomaceous earth and wormer tablets to their food. The duck had an odd shape to her chest and belly compared to the healthy one so I assume it was worms that had distorted her insides. Recovery has taken about three weeks and now I can hardly tell the two apart. I've continued treating the ducks and chickens with wormer for a couple months to break the worm hatch cycle that may re-infect any of my birds. Good luck, I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by