Woke to find problem with one foot on hen "can't walk"

Sweetums

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 31, 2009
My hen is very young approx. 2 months old, she is a bantam mixed mutt.

In her barn is wood chips and a light. Her feed is chick feed medicated and mixed with laying feed and flax seed. She has two siblings and still sits with her mother. My son went into the barn this morning to change their water which was changed last evening but frozen this morning. Yes that cold. Her set *mother is part silkie so doesn't like to perch at night. The wood chips are fairly fresh and still lots of fluffy in them. Changed just 2 weeks ago. I recently did put down powder for chicken mites and for the life of me the name is escaping me. If needed I will find out and post later. I have used it before so I can't see it being a problem.

One of her feet she can't seem to use. I am unsure if it is the leg affected or just the foot. Or both. She curls the left foot up and kinda walks in circles because of it. I see no marks on it at all. Nothing that would lead me to believe she has an injury. No swelling.

She is eating and drinking and defacating normally. No signs of sickness that way. Her eyes are clear and bright and she seems normal in all aspects.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have no clue what to do or what I should do.

Thank you
Andrea

*(Full feathered feet and extra toes.)

If you lift her up, can you move her leg or are the joints stiff? Does it seem paralyzed or just sore? Is it possible that she jumped down from the roost and injured a joint or broke a bone?

I know bumble foot and it isn't that. I have a hen with very little toes due to bumble foot.
sad.png
She was setting when it happened and no one noticed.

I am unsure if she broke something. I would think there would be bruising on the foot or leg. I don't see anything but her legs have purple on them. I checked her two siblings and they have the same colouring on their toes and legs. She can move the toes but very little. Almost like a weakening of the affected area. She keeps the leg out in front too. I am wondering if maybe it is the hip area down.

My youngest son has claimed her and I am wondering if maybe she is in alot of pain and shoud be culled or if I could just leave her and see what happens. She eats drinks and poops all normally. I kept her in last night just to check to see if the amounts were fine and everything is great. She seems to be walking on the side of her foot though. It figures I would lose a hen instead of a roo. I only have 5 baby roos that have to go.
hmm.png

Can you post a picture of her with how her leg sets in a calm state? Could be Mareks??

Back
Top Bottom