woke up to a fox !!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jarvis, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    and now my polish hen is gone :,(

dot is on the scent .. but the fox had a huge head start ...

(dot is my blue healer .... she has took out in the last few months .. a possum . a racoon .. and a few days ago she killed a skunk the coon was tryin to steal baby chickens .. =/ she simply had a vendetta against skunks .. and the possum made the mistake of walkin across the fields in broad daylight .. ) i think she needs to add fox to her list ... ( not to mention more mice and rats to even count ..)
    the funniest part is dot is a reformed chicken killer .. [​IMG] she would take out a whole flock of twenty in five minutes .. =/ if youve ever heard an old timer tell you to beat the dog with the chicken ... it works .. beat the dogs senceless with that bird .. then beat the dog some more .. they will lay in the middle of the flock while your not there and never have the inclination to kill a chicken again !!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

how do i deal with this fox .. since hes stalkin around in the day .. ive been free ranging my girls .. but i guess untill he is gone .. i am gunna have to keep them put up [​IMG] there coop is under my bedroom window .. and they told on the fox this morning and prolli will next time he shows up ..

i dont wanna leave dot out all night waitin on this fox .. its gettin cold again and shes 11 and got arthritis as it is .. cold weather makes her show her age.. =/ so inside and warm is much prefered .. are there traps that work good on foxes .. ? this guy was huge .. almost the size of a lab nowhere as chuccby as labs get .. but he was big .. and deff a fox not a yote ..

im sooo mad right now ... i cant shoot at him .. since he takes off through the horse fields .. and any other dirrecion hed be headed towards a residance .. X(

ugh !!!

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you leave Dot out all night she may just keep the fox away. But if you setup a blind, leave Dot in, use some bait and wait. Oh, you stay in the blind with a rifle so you can "shoot" the critter.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by