Woman is facing 93 days in jail for growing a veggie garden

sune42

Songster
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Northern Kentucky
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/oak-park-battles-city-over-vegetable-garden-in-their-front-yard

Julie
Bass is facing 93 days in jail for growing veggies in raised beds in her front yard. This was after a city owned tree ruined their sewer pipe and the front yard had to be torn up, on her dime I might add. Her blog has pictures, details and links to other articles, the important city people's emails, and her facebook page. I mentioned the MI right to farm act, but not sure if she saw it.

I encourage anyone who is in support of this woman to sign the petition and/or email the council members, mayor and code enforcement guy. I am sure you all will, but it bears repeating, if you email please be intelligent and respectful. Don't let them throw out your voice because of an immature, name-calling type letter.

th.gif
That is rediculous! They should let her grow her garden where ever she wants!
somad.gif

How dare she attempt to be self sufficient and grow her own food instead of eating only GMO! She should get back to the all American diet of all beef and not dare to eat that commie vegetable crap!
roll.png

That is absolute bullsnot that she is getting charged for having a freaking garden. Sure, it is in her front yard, but in cities, there is limited dirt to work with. I saw a picture of it, it looked like well tended raised garden beds! I'd rather see a garden in a yard than an overgrowing, trash littered lawn so common in cities.

All I can say is, WOW.
barnie.gif

I'm so glad I'm not in the city.
It's sad when you can't even grow your own food on your own property.
he.gif

Unbelievable! It's no different then landscaping your yard with shrubs, flowers and bushes! Wow!

Yeah it's ridiculous. So are a lot of laws though. People get fined all the time for code violations. If they don't pay the fine they can go to jail. Guess we might see what happens. Depends if there's any more important stories on the day she goes to court. Someone might be watering on an off day or something and trump her story.

I signed the petition. It is a ridiculous law and should be changed. If her garden is kept neat and attractive then people should just let it be. I don't think I would ever want to live in that city.

he.gif
barnie.gif
duc.gif
smack.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif
to the people that are against her idea of gardening....she is being creative and if the city has a heart, they would just let her finish her harvesting for the year until fall, and she can remove them. Jeez, don't the city have something BETTER to do, like creating jobs???

Back
Top Bottom