Woman is facing 93 days in jail for growing a veggie garden

Talk about over crowding in jails....and they worry about that. Just kill your kid and you will get off free instead
barnie.gif

Quote:
Nicely maintained raised beds can be quite pretty. Put some shredded bark down and use a drip system and her water use should be lower than a turf yard and a lot prettier than rock. maybe she can do Xeriscaping along the sidewalk and grow vegetables behind that.

Very, very true. We got a lot of compliments on how our beds looked last year - why can't city officials have the same common sense? Heck, a well-done garden can be downright gorgeous.

this is why we checked before purchaseing our house to make sure there were no home owners assosications or neighborhood rules. I'm not good w/ not being able to do what I want w/ my yard. If you live in an area that has them then your bound to follow those rules.... sad but true and it's also what keeps some of these neighborhoods from becoming trashy.

Quote:
X2 on the edible landscaping. Just this past week, I re-purposed an old flowerbed on the side of the house and filled it with late-summer pepper & tomato plants. I have another bed I'm going to fill with cooking herbs.

I could see a homeowners' association having trouble with the garden if there are CC&Rs that have to be followed, but the city? They would go nuts in Sacramento because EVERYBODY has gardens in their front yards. There are parts of town where there are huge ethnic populations from various parts of the world that can only get the fruits/vegetables they use if they grow them themselves. Neighborhoods are studded with gardens that look a million times more like an "eyesore" than the one the lady in the story has, but even at that, they're still not TRULY an eyesore.

I think a slab of concrete is a much bigger eyesore than the beauty of growing one's own food.

The government will gladly tax us for the carbon we emit and the resources we use, but when someone tries to do something about it they stick them with a huge fine and threaten to put them in jail. It's sad...

vegetable and fruit gardens can be lovely. A majority of my perennial plants are edible and medicinal. People compliment "oh what a pretty flower garden" and sometimes I have to think before I realize they are talking about my herds and jerusalem atichoke

If her zoning says plant in the back, she should plant in the back or move. Most likely her produce will be completely stripped by passers by in any case. Poor planning on her part to put a buffet out by the sidewalk with the economy and joblessness in the state it is in right now.

Quote:
X2 on the edible landscaping. Just this past week, I re-purposed an old flowerbed on the side of the house and filled it with late-summer pepper & tomato plants. I have another bed I'm going to fill with cooking herbs.

I could see a homeowners' association having trouble with the garden if there are CC&Rs that have to be followed, but the city? They would go nuts in Sacramento because EVERYBODY has gardens in their front yards. There are parts of town where there are huge ethnic populations from various parts of the world that can only get the fruits/vegetables they use if they grow them themselves. Neighborhoods are studded with gardens that look a million times more like an "eyesore" than the one the lady in the story has, but even at that, they're still not TRULY an eyesore.

I think a slab of concrete is a much bigger eyesore than the beauty of growing one's own food.

I was thinking the same thing about the gardens here. There are some truly strange gardens in the front yards here, and really, they aren't that bad. I'd much rather see that than overgrown grass, because at least it is serving a purpose.

Back
Top Bottom