Women coop builders

here's mine. I'm not pregnant, but I'm 46 with bad knees.

587_img_0201.jpg

587_img_0206.jpg

waiting for 2 back to back nice days to paint it. and waiting... and waiting...

Quote:
I, personally, learn/understand better when I see it vs. just reading about it. YouTube and google Image searches have been my best sources of figuring out how to "do" something, be it the theory of how to use a tool, how to make something work, or the method behind a construction concept. It may not be the "right" way to learn something in the carpentry world, but if you dont have someone to teach you, it might be the next best bet... so long as you have enough common sense to take whatever safety precautions necessary.

(PS- I'm scared to death of the circular saw
hide.gif
)

Quote:
I, personally, learn/understand better when I see it vs. just reading about it. YouTube and google Image searches have been my best sources of figuring out how to "do" something, be it the theory of how to use a tool, how to make something work, or the method behind a construction concept. It may not be the "right" way to learn something in the carpentry world, but if you dont have someone to teach you, it might be the next best bet... so long as you have enough common sense to take whatever safety precautions necessary.

(PS- I'm scared to death of the circular saw
hide.gif
)

LOL! The circular saw is my biggie too! But there was a cute little one at Sears that was way less intimidating. I also play the harp so I am scared to death of hurting my fingers or hands in any way. I sort of need them for playing. I will be on youtube a lot. I have watched several building coop videos already and now need to find out some specifics. I agree that it is a great resource!

sdeneen, I hear you about the knees. I have arthritis in both knees and both hips. I will just have to do it on my "good" days. Great job on your coop.

Girl Power!

(PS- I'm scared to death of the circular saw )

Don't be afraid of the circular saw. They're very safe if you are careful. There is a blade guard and the saw stops spinning almost immediately after you release the trigger. Wear your eye protection because they do tend to fling a lot of sawdust. My husband actually prefers I use the circular saw than his table saw. Now that is something i'm afraid of! I guess i'm just lucky that we had the power tools on hand. My husband did get a new miter saw when we started this coop project - only because I broke his last one! I just guess i'm a do-it-yourself kind of girl. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have a chronicle of the coop build on my BYC page.

I can see where Youtube would be a great reference to learn to use power tools. I also recommend DIYNET.com.

And by he way - kudos to you girl for wanting to do it yourself!
big_smile.png

- and for the others who were inquiring:

hardware cloth on the coop's windows and covered run - screwed in with washers and woodscrews
2" x 3" welded wire on the sun-run extension nailed in with poultry staples (contributed greatly to my severe tendonitis i'm currently suffering from!)

Last edited:
Just be careful cuz your pregnant. I lost my number 3 and i was building a closet and other home repairs at the time. Otherwise i built my own coop but this being your first project have some help. I did mine solo but only after learning alot from building a playhouse 2 closets and various other stuff. Read alot measure twice and cut once
wink.png
Good luck and please watch yourself hun.

Hi! This is my very first post, so delighted that I stumbled upon this thread-- I had a week to myself while farm-sitting at my parents' place last week, so I built a chicken tractor and "stole" 3 of my dad's hens. While I have been the "helper" for various building projects ever since I was little, this was my very first time completely DIY, virtually no dads or husbands involved, lol... First time operating a table saw, first time operating a circular saw. I've operated a drill before, but not very often-- hubby usually comandeers the power equipment.
sad.png

I must say, it was actually quite fun and, dare I say, RELAXING to do this project all by myself... I had seen some neat chicken tractors over the past few months and I'd had this idea in my head, but no real plan until I started screwing boards together. The finished product is housing 3 hens; there's one (movable) nest box inside, doors on two sides of the box to access eggs as well as clean/refill the feeder, roosts inside and out, full-height door to enter the run, and recycled height-adjustable lawnmower wheels on the heavy end with which to move said tractor around the yard.

Turns out I suck at using a circular saw, hence the white trim to disguise some awful cuts on the doors. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with myself for my very first time DIY'ing start to finish!

Here's a photo (hopefully); it's loaded on my trailer for the ride home:

93931_chicken_tractor.jpg

Last edited:
I built mine myself as well. Go Girl Power!!
smile.png

There are lots of pictures and an explanation on my BYC page. I am quite proud of how it turned out. I later built a half size version of the blue coop for my silkies and a smaller grow out coop.

Get yourself a good power drill with a long battery life. I have a Dewalt and love it more than anything. A pneumatic stapler will also make your life easier. I think you can rent them if you don't want to buy. I too am scared of the circular saw, but a little fear is a healthy thing. It keeps you alert and aware. I use mine, but it is my least favorite part of the process.

Be careful because of the pregnancy, but other than that go for it! You can totally do it.
thumbsup.gif

I got tired of waiting on my family so, *go me go me go me*
yippiechickie.gif
I am building it myself
lol.png

My DH,who is wheelchair bound, has banned me from the saws, he is scared I will end up cutting something other than wood but you can't learn if you don't try
wink.png

I do have my 10 and 11 yr old willing to help and their best friend but kids need to be kids and they kinda start wanting to find other things to do after a bit.

I got my base and flooring done for the coop and now learning to frame the walls, cut out spaces for windows/doors
big_smile.png

I also read and watch how to videos but I am a visual person so having some one right there to show me helps a lot.

My sister and I built my very first coop, chicken coop built for 2 hens w/removable nest box but then I got bit by the chicken fever and want more chickens! which means bigger coop:D

Cheers to us on our coop building adventures!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
well, I did not do it all myself, I had help... but I learned so much and best of all, got over my stupid phobia about power tools - if I ever have to build a coop again, and I didn't have help, I'm pretty sure I could do a half-way decent job
smile.png
Yahooo! Girl Power!

Back
Top Bottom