Won’t Go in Coop at Night

View attachment 3089333

Here's an inside/outside pic of the coop!

I don't see any ventilation at all in that coop.

It's very common for chickens, who need a great abundance of fresh air for good health (recommended 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen), to refuse to go into a coop that is dark, hot, stuffy, and heavy with ammonia. :(

This is what your airflow should look like:

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

I see, not in the coop is outside. I would take this person's advice.
Been doing that myself here.
Some people put them in the coop for a few days without letting them out into the run so they learn where home is. Maybe you can put them inside a little earlier...before it gets dark to help them along. That's what I've been doing.
It's all new to them. It takes some time. Same with roosting.

It looks like the corrugated roofing lets airflow in? Maybe light, too? 3KBs is right that ventilation is of the utmost importance. You can judge it by how it feels to you. Folks say that you should feel okay being in there :)

Yeah, 3KBs, do you have any good pictures of ventilation set-ups on coops? I have seen some good ones, (like vents with little doors to adjust) but I don't have them handy. I'll bet pictures would help.

I'm not sure we can adjust the roof at this point. What about cutting some squares in the sides and putting a vent in?

Top-hinged windows are good because they are their own awning to keep the weather out.

window-support-2-jpg.1699885

Put the vent as high up on both the high and low side of the roof as possible.

Or cut a permanent opening, cover it with hardware cloth, and add an awning (mine are fairly redneck, but they can be made a lot nicer).

cover-image

Make sure that no hole is bigger than 1", though, or else a weasel can get in and wreck havoc.

Or cover the holes with 1/4" hardware cloth that is completely secured.

1/2" hardware cloth is usually recommended because the wire on the 1/4" is so thin.

I'm not sure we can adjust the roof at this point. What about cutting some squares in the sides and putting a vent in?
How cold is it where you live? That determines how big you want to make them, or if you want to be able to cover them. If it gets super cold there, you can make them smaller in general, or have covers, since the cold will pull out air for you. If it gets super hot there, the more vents the better, like 3KBs 2nd picture.

Top-hinged windows are good because they are their own awning to keep the weather out.

window-support-2-jpg.1699885

Put the vent as high up on both the high and low side of the roof as possible.

Or cut a permanent opening, cover it with hardware cloth, and add an awning (mine are fairly redneck, but they can be made a lot nicer).

cover-image

1/2" hardware cloth is usually recommended because the wire on the 1/4" is so thin.
Thanks for the tip, maybe 1/2" is less expensive, too.

How cold is it where you live? That determines how big you want to make them, or if you want to be able to cover them. If it gets super cold there, you can make them smaller in general, or have covers, since the cold will pull out air for you. If it gets super hot there, the more vents the better, like 3KBs 2nd picture.

Even in cold climates ventilation is still critical, it just has to be provided in a draft-free manner so that the chickens never have their feathers ruffled by a breeze when they're sitting on their roosts. The 1 square foot per hen is considered a minimum.

In my hot climate I aim for at least double, even triple that recommendation. :)

Back
Top Bottom