Won"t Eat ,Won't move, Drinking a lot, Stopped Laying NEED HELP!!

Chicks and Hens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2013
With my chickens
I need help!! my chicken is drinking alot of water but not eating, laying or moving. I found her on the floor today after dark instead of on the roost. We have no roosters she vomited water as I was examining her and is falling asleep really easy her abdomen is't very hard and she will spread her wings out and waddle kind of. I can't get vet care, too expensive. Can't bring her inside, Family wont allow it. What can I do that will involve a garage, box, medication, and me? Is this contagious to my flock? Is it the weather?
ANYTHING WILL HELP!

I need help!! my chicken is drinking alot of water but not eating, laying or moving. I found her on the floor today after dark instead of on the roost. We have no roosters she vomited water as I was examining her and is falling asleep really easy her abdomen is't very hard and she will spread her wings out and waddle kind of. I can't get vet care, too expensive. Can't bring her inside, Family wont allow it. What can I do that will involve a garage, box, medication, and me? Is this contagious to my flock? Is it the weather?
ANYTHING WILL HELP!
How is your girl? You need to check her for impacted/sour crop,is her crop empty or full? Crop should be empty if she is not eating,if full in the morning then it may be impacted crop. If her crop feels squishy and/or has a foul smell,she may have sour crop. Check her for being egg bound,you need to do a cloacal exam. Put on gloves,use lubricant and gently insert finger into vent,see if you can feel an obstruction.

Crop? what is it? Poop? I don't think she is pooping! I checked all of their mouths and only Rex ( the sick one ) had a black tip of his tongue... She is a black Sex link. This morning I let them out ( like usual) and it started getting strong winds. The chickens usually run into the coop, and all of them did... BUT REX!!! There is a sandbox in the backyard for the kids and there is a tiny lip on it and she couldn't get over it. Yes she does seem lighter and there is like a bone almost by her vent! She will lose her balance and sit in one corner. I set her down and she will go run with the chickens! So I am overjoyed until she will stop and won't start again. It worries me! Is there a possible chance she could DIE?

The crop is the pouch where the food is stored before moving on to the gizzard. Sometimes it gets blocked by long strands of grass, or something else that won't go down. Sometimes they develop a fungal infection or a disease that cause the crop not to work called sour crop. Here are 2 links, the first for chicken anatomy and the second about crop problems: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi.../Chapter3_Anatomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3.pdf and
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

She could also have coccidiosis. The symptoms are lethargy, lying puffed up, ruffled feathers, poor appetite, and diarrhea--in some cases with some blood, but not always. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp of liquid or 1 tsp of powder per 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. Occasionally, they can have sour crop or crop stasis at the same time. Did your chicken have a Mareks vaccine when she was hatched?

Back
Top Bottom