Wondering about this EE?

The thing you have to consider too is that a Sex-Link IS a crossbreed. So, with that you are going to get varying degrees of coloration on the offspring. Some will have darker legs than others, some will have more gold on them than others. They will share similar characteristics but not exact. Unless you hatched it yourself, then you can't be certain until it gets old enough and lays the appropriate egg. Then too, I have gotten hatchery birds that were supposed to lay white and lay a light brown. It is all in the breeding.
That all being said, I still think it is a pullet. The color and size of the comb and wattles isn't always the way to tell. For instance, Leghorns get redder and bigger faster than most breeds, but that includes the pullets. I have a Black Giant hen out here now that has a comb and wattles as big and as red as the rooster that she is in with.

Genetics.

I have Easter Eggers this same color. They lay green eggs. Some are "clean faced" and some have beards. Easter Eggers come in such a variety of colors, they are bound to look like another breed at some point. I even have a yellow legged Easter Egger that lays green eggs. The comb does look a little tall, but mine have a variety of "face shapes."

Quote:
X2
And, because they are crossbreeds, there is no "standard" leg coloration. It all depends on what breed combinations were used in the sex link pairing.

Thank you all, I have learned so much reading here about chickens and genetics! It's fasinating! Chickens are such neat creatures
smile.png

Julie

Back
Top Bottom