1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wondering.....Any Difference Between Nasel Smell & Corzoa Smell??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenzoo, Feb 6, 2009.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have herd a lot of people having issues with their chickens being sick. Everyone is trying to describe smells, appearance, etc. of nasal discharges and I got to wondering.........
    Do some diseases/colds smell nasely/mucousy instead of the corzoa smell...is their a difference or is it the same disease if their is any smell? It's all a bit confusing, especially to those that never delt with it. [​IMG]

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I have never noticed a smell.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    from what I've heard the Coryza has a very offensive odor...
    but I've never dealt with it myself.

fingers crossed.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never smelled any odor from my healthy flock around the nares except their breath when they eat garlic, LOL. They say Coryza is really, really awful.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I was just wondering if say the nasel discharge from a chicken that had pneumonia, differed from the smell of Corzoa, or if any nasel smell was Corzoa?

6. The smell of Infectious Coryza is one you will not forget.
    It smells like a dead animal, bacteria in minute amounts
    smell like a horrid wound on an animal.
    The color is yellow and sometimes the
    consistency is like that of un dried glue.

It is not necessarally fatal, but your birds WILL BE carriers.

Look on my BYC pages for symptoms and such. It is informative.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
  7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My birds weren't sick, I was just curious if their were different smells that went along with different respiratory diseases, since a lot of people have been having issues. I was wondering how bad Corzoa really smelled, and if any nasal smell meant that disease and no other respiratory disease has a nasal/mucus smell. [​IMG]

8. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    Coryza smells like something died in their nostrils.

ILT smells very nasal and almost like b.o. and mucus. Though ILT is not transmitted through the egg There is a safe vaccination for it. NOT THE MODIFIED LIVE VIRUS. And this vaccination should be given to each flock every year. If one bird gets ILT it can anhialate an entire flock.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by