Wondering if I've got a golden comet cockerel

kerner

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Springfield MO
I've got six young chickens (roughly 6 weeks old), that ideally would all be pullets, but I'm wondering about one of them. The golden comets and the sapphire gems were both purchased the day they arrived at the farm store (3/25) and the easter eggers were picked up similarly the next day (3/26). I'm assuming they were a few days old at that point.

I've had some difficulty getting good pictures, but managed to put this together over the past day or so. This has a picture of all six on the roosting bar in their run, pictures of three other birds (an easter egger, a sapphire gem, and another easter egger) in the top row, and then the questionable birds on the bottom. The first two pictures are the best two I could get today of each of the golden comets (they're the only two we can't easily tell apart) and the bottom right is the one I'm wondering if she's really a he (also the middle picture on the bottom row).

Any ideas? Other advice? Tips for taking the best pictures to help identify?

F6C4E374-7EDA-4229-A963-F42BD8CC28EC.JPG

The bottom right one is a little suspicious to me only due to the darker red of the waddles and at the comb. Another week or two and you should be able to tell for sure. I had one early on like that and it did turn out to be a male. But sometimes they can be deceiving! Time will tell!

looks like all hens. roos usually look like this from golden comets (have 3 myself so been doing research)
20170513_235340.jpg

you can sometimes (rarely) get a golden comet roo like this:
hredirect2.jpg

I’m guessing 1, 2 and 6 from individual pictures are boys. I think it is too early to know for sure.

Watching thread - please update if you can...

I agree that it's a bit early to tell for sure, but we had Golden Comets one time, and they are some egg laying machines!!! Enjoy your new flock.

The golden comets are pullets, but at least one of your EE and one of your sapphire gems appear to be cockerels.

We had pretty terrible light when they were brand new, but this is the best picture of the bunch that clearly shows color. This would be about a week old.

D5A33B53-BCC8-4C45-B650-B02625744E77.jpeg

From the top there’s a sapphire, a golden comet, the two EE to the right, and then the other sapphire, and golden.

Back
Top Bottom