Wondering if someone could give me some advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patricia Jane, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have 4-4wk old chicks that their mama has decided she has had enough of mothering and is now on the roost and not with them. I'm worried about them being in the coop with no heat. The temp should be around 53 tonight. Should I put her in with her babies or do you think they will be ok? Please advice.

2. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    how feathered out are they? Do they have a nest box they can cuddle in?

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    53 is kind of chilly for 4 week old chicks. Could you bring them inside and put them under a heat lamp during the night, then put them back outside during the day to free range?

~ Aspen [​IMG]

4. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    They are pretty much feathered in except for around the neck, head. They do have a nest box they can cuddle in.

5. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

53 is kind of chilly for 4 week old chicks. Could you bring them inside and put them under a heat lamp during the night, then put them back outside during the day to free range?

~ Aspen [​IMG]

That's my problem. I already have my brooder in use with 5 wks old.​

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:That's my problem. I already have my brooder in use with 5 wks old.

Can you make another brooder up? How warm is it in your house? You can get a plastic storage tub, cut a hole in the lid, put some wire over it and then put a lamp over it and vola! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

7. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree ...I would at least bring them in the house ....54 degrees is really too cold for the chicks....I would bring them in even if you can't set up a heat lamp....it's still alot warmer in the house than outside....you could even put them in a cardboard box with a towel or something they will huddle together and stay warm... hope this helps

8. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:That's my problem. I already have my brooder in use with 5 wks old.

Can you make another brooder up? How warm is it in your house? You can get a plastic storage tub, cut a hole in the lid, put some wire over it and then put a lamp over it and vola! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

I scrounged around in the barn and found a light I had an extra heat lamp so I rigged up the light for the night in the coop. I'm pretty paranoid about fire so this is only for this eve. I will set up another brooder in the house and will use that in the evenings. I just went out to check on them and they are peeping but fine. Wonder if the big girls will get any sleep? Thanks for all your help.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Can you make another brooder up? How warm is it in your house? You can get a plastic storage tub, cut a hole in the lid, put some wire over it and then put a lamp over it and vola! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

I scrounged around in the barn and found a light I had an extra heat lamp so I rigged up the light for the night in the coop. I'm pretty paranoid about fire so this is only for this eve. I will set up another brooder in the house and will use that in the evenings. I just went out to check on them and they are peeping but fine. Wonder if the big girls will get any sleep? Thanks for all your help.

Your big girls will go right to sleep. A couple winters ago I had a heat lamp running in my coop all night long..in fact, instead of sleeping on their roost, they all slept under the light! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

When our chicks were 10 days old we lost power and it got to around 65 degrees, maybe colder, in the coop. They were fine, but then there were 12 of them to cuddle up. BUT they didn't cuddle up. They ran around like they normally do and during the night they slept but not next to one another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by