Wondering if these really are Cornish Rock Crosses

just for future reference, if you go to TSC or some other local place to get chicks, call them and ask when they get(or got) their birds in and what they have. If they have CX, think about waiting till they are 3-5 days old, because if you do, the weak ones from the shipping will have been culled(died), and you will be able to see a definite difference in size. the other thing you will notice is that the CX are significantly less active and less agile. Then if you look at the chick's feet and legs, the CX will have bigger feet, and the space between their legs will be much greater because they have much more breast meat than regular chicks.

Your other option is to just order them from a hatchery, but they will cost more per chick withe shipping costs.

Thsoe definitely do not look like Cornish X.

1. They are too narrow - CX are really broad from day one. They stand with their legs far apart and usually carry their body more parallel to the ground than upright.

2. They have too many feathers, particularly on the soft area below their tails. CX usually look red and naked under their tails. Their breasts are very slow to feather in, and they seem to have pin feathers forever.

3. The are too alert looking. CX look sleepy and tired unless they are startled. The older they get, the less they stand up. And when they are laying down, they have this look that is hard to describe, like when they relax their body kind of slumps into a puddle.

I would get my money back and see if they will let you keep the chicks. After all, you have invested the time and money into getting them this far, so why not finish the job.

Well we got our money back at least, but they won't take em back so we're stuck. Not sure what to do, we don't have room for more egg layers really and I don't think they'd be worth it for meat. Thankfully we know other people with chickens so we'll see if anyone wants em.

Thanks for all the info! Guess we'll try raising meat birds next year.

You can grow them on heavy protein until 18 weeks and then use them as fryers. They will eat just fine. Although not cornish, they will still be good on the table. Lots of leghorns have been the main dish for many suppers.

They will be exceptional layers and something many will want right at time of lay. So maybe give them to a special friend or sell them. Layers don't get any better than leghorns. Their tail feathers are what first gives them away imho.

I'm also thinking raise them to point of lay and sell them. By that time folks will have raised their chicks, taken their losses and want replacement birds they don't have to brood.

My smallest cornish x at 4 weeks is 4 lbs and my largest is 4lbs 10 ounces. I would say there is now way you have cornish x birds.

Those look exactly like the "California Whites" I bought at Orschelns. I needed some white birds and those looked so cool. They are going to be only 4-5 pound birds though. Awfully small and scrawny to eat, IMHO. I dont know if Cali whites are a real breed but I have seen pics of the adults and they are awfully good looking. I would buy them from you if you lived in kansas. Have fun though, chickens are sweet.

Back
Top Bottom