Wondering if these really are Cornish Rock Crosses

My smallest cornish x at 4 weeks is 4 lbs and my largest is 4lbs 10 ounces. I would say there is now way you have cornish x birds.
WOW - my cornish x just turned 4 weeks and are just barely at the 2 lb mark. I thought mine were large. What in the world are you
feeding yours and what is your set up for them? I only have 4 so I would like them to get as large as possible and still remain
healthy until processing time in another month.

I have a very simple setup..I have 14 cx birds living in a 8ft square coop with 2 heat lamps to start, there is only 1 lamp now. I am able to maintain 60 degrees in there except for when it dips into the teens at night then it may get down to around 40..The first week I fed them regular chick starter feed and then switched to a meat bird feed that I get at the local Big R store. For the first 2 weeks I didnt regulate there feed but now I feed them 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off..Currently they eat about 7 pounds of feed a day and drink about 1.5 gallons of water. This is my first time with these birds, Im not sure of anything in what Im doing, my ideas have come from things I have read here. I did lose 3 birds in the first 2 days, I wrote that off to travel stress or just weak birds..Everyone seems very healthy to date though.

Last edited:
I don't know much about chickens yet. This is our first year. But, we have 6 Amberlinks from TSC that look identical to yours. When you bought them you should have received health papers. The papers should list all of the breeds they received in that shipment. You should be able to determine which breed you actually have from that list.

BTW, the runt looks like a CX that is failing to thrive. In my very limited experience (only 30 CX) the runts usually died within a few weeks. Although we still have one that is hanging in there at just over 6 weeks. It's not much bigger than our layers of the same age.

I have a very simple setup..I have 14 cx birds living in a 8ft square coop with 2 heat lamps to start, there is only 1 lamp now. I am able to maintain 60 degrees in there except for when it dips into the teens at night then it may get down to around 40..The first week I fed them regular chick starter feed and then switched to a meat bird feed that I get at the local Big R store. For the first 2 weeks I didnt regulate there feed but now I feed them 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off..Currently they eat about 7 pounds of feed a day and drink about 1.5 gallons of water. This is my first time with these birds, Im not sure of anything in what Im doing, my ideas have come from things I have read here. I did lose 3 birds in the first 2 days, I wrote that off to travel stress or just weak birds..Everyone seems very healthy to date though.

Maybe the difference is that I am feeding my Cornish X the chick starter feed that I have left over from my other birds. Probably not as much goodies in it as the meat bird feed.

Back
Top Bottom