Wondering if this brand of mice poison is safe...

Kr1spy_dreamz

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
Las vegas, Nevada
So we hve a mice problem in our backyard, we have mouse traps set around the place. There not the killing trap kind, there the poison kind. One of our chickens recently killed a mouse (the small brown ones) and i took it away from them because i believe it ate some of the poison from the posion boxes. The brand were using for the mice are those tomcat green blocks.

If this doesnt fit here then please tell me!

I recommend a product called Mouse X, it's not a poison, there's no risk of second hand poisoning anything, it's safe around poultry and animals except for rodents.
It's made from a certain salt that keeps just rodents from feeling thirst, the die in a coma from dehydration without suffering.
Ohh, that is cool. I like that idea, before trying any kind of poison, read this whole article on who to get rid of rats and mice. Prison of anything like that should be used ONLY as a last resort! This article has everything you need to know about getting rid of them, and great strategies. https://backyardchickenproject.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats-in-the-chicken-coop-the-definitive-guide/

A much better source of info rather than an article filled with affiliate links selling the items that they recommend is our own rat expert Howard E. Do a post search for his articles.

Here are three that cover everything you need to know about getting rid of rats. To boil it down, you practice sanitation, exclusion, and elimination only if needed. Sanitation is a clean area so the predators can get to the rats, feed in steel barrels, chicken feed in a treadle feeder. Exclusion is spending the time and money to put up hardware cloth and seal off any hole or gap over 3/4". Elimination is when the first two have failed and you resort to traps and poison.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-101.1283827/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-feeder-review.1180514/#post-18610285

But, do the first process right and you do not need to do the second and third step. Starve the rats and mice out.

There is a site out there that did a ton of research on chicken feeders and reviewed the most popular ones. Pretty sure the guy is a green/sustainable living kind of person. The site claims that there are no affiliate links but there are a bunch of links to the Amazon reviews on some of the items. I get "offers" to review our feeder all the time in return for a free feeder and an affiliate link and 8% of the sales. Not going to happen, that kind of advertising makes quick sales and even quicker angry customers.

I don't know why rodent poison isn't banned yet. If you are killing rodents with poison, you are killing birds, other beneficial and possibly endangered wild animals, and pets. I don't care how careful people are about picking up the dead or dying poisoned mice, some will escape and will be eaten by some other animal. And if you have a dog or cat (or chicken!) that gets into the bait or eats a poisoned mouse...there is no antidote and there are going to be hefty vet bills. Animal Poison Control told us to take our dog in even though we didn't actually see her eat poison, but she was showing signs of being sick after we found some old rat poison in a closet. One GRAM could have killed my 18 pound dog. Boy, that was an expensive middle-of-the-night trip...and it could have been for nothing, but it also could have saved her life. Please don't use poison. End of rant. :)

I don't know, but I recommend a product called Mouse X, it's not a poison, there's no risk of second hand poisoning anything, it's safe around poultry and animals except for rodents.
It's made from a certain salt that keeps only rodents from feeling thirst, they die in a coma from dehydration without suffering.
Thanks, I've never heard of Mouse X. It kind of sounds too good to be true!

I don't know why rodent poison isn't banned yet. If you are killing rodents with poison, you are killing birds, other beneficial and possibly endangered wild animals, and pets. I don't care how careful people are about picking up the dead or dying poisoned mice, some will escape and will be eaten by some other animal. And if you have a dog or cat (or chicken!) that gets into the bait or eats a poisoned mouse...there is no antidote and there are going to be hefty vet bills. Animal Poison Control told us to take our dog in even though we didn't actually see her eat poison, but she was showing signs of being sick after we found some old rat poison in a closet. One GRAM could have killed my 18 pound dog. Boy, that was an expensive middle-of-the-night trip...and it could have been for nothing, but it also could have saved her life. Please don't use poison. End of rant. :)
1000% agreed! I am very against poison myself, they was put perfectly.

So we hve a mice problem in our backyard, we have mouse traps set around the place. There not the killing trap kind, there the poison kind. One of our chickens recently killed a mouse (the small brown ones) and i took it away from them because i believe it ate some of the poison from the posion boxes. The brand were using for the mice are those tomcat green blocks.

If this doesnt fit here then please tell me!
I previously posted this. I had an infested coop and when I renovated the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I had noticed tunnels around the coops. The rats had nests in the ceiling and walls in the coop I renovated. I tried several different things but still had a lot of rats so I resorted to poison. I'm not advocating using poison only that it worked for me. I bought some rat bait stations and placed them where nothing but the rats could get to them. The rats weren't fond of the bait that came with the bait stations so I bought some other bait and they seemed to like it much better. I did not find any dead rats laying around and checked the bait boxes daily. There is a little window above the baits in the bait stations I bought so I could check it regularly. I think the rats went into their tunnels and died and that is why I didn't find any dead rats or critters from eating any dead rats laying around. If the bait stations are placed in places where nothing but the rats can get to there should be no problems. You can also place the bait stations in a pet carrier so only the rats can get to them. There is a partition down the middle inside the bait stations that the rats have to go around to get to the bait so they don't bring the bait out of the bait stations. Good luck with whatever you do...
https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Kille...refix=tomcat+rat+bait+stations,aps,429&sr=8-5

Attachments

• PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 1
  • RatBaitA.jpg
    RatBaitA.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
  • RatBaitStationRev.jpg
    RatBaitStationRev.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom