1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wondering what 'rainbow' layer this is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by homemakerjulie, May 12, 2011.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Last year, and this year, I got some chicks from Farm and Home, they were rainbow layers, I thought that meant they'd lay like blue/green eggs, but, since starting to read here everyday, I know that's not the case. Of course, none of them last year laid blue/green, but I just thought I got a bad group! Anyhow, I am wondering what this white one is? The chickens from last year got taken by a fox, so no full grown picture, but these are 8.5 weeks old.

She is white, with yellow, slighly green tinged legs and a five point comb.
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much if anyone knows. I have looked around and can't seem to find one that looks like this. I would say mutt, but I got one just like it last year from the same place, which I guess could still be mutt! [​IMG]

Julie

ETA: that I added two pictures in post 4.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:Im very interested to find out what she is too... especially were you say she has green legs. my EE's have green legs? but not that style comb??? humm??? curiouser and curiouser !!??
    good luck with them

blessed be )O(
    Pink

3. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Those are my thoughts too. Last year I just thought I got ee's that didn't lay the bluish eggs. But then I started reading here just in the last month, and have learned a LOT and normally they have the pea comb, most definetly NOT a pea comb, but the legs?? She's to young to lay eggs, so it could be a 'time will tell' thing. But I thought I'd ask here because there are so many very knowledgable people here! I wish I could remember exactly what she looked like when little. I'll have to go find the pictures from last year, I know I got some of the other I had.

4. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    here are two of the one from last year that is just like this one. I didn't get good pictures, but you can see what she looked like as a chick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I think she is part Deleware, she looks similar to my girls.

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking jersey giant. They're supposed to have willow colored legs, hers might have deepened as she got older.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Probably a White Rock. Sometimes their leg color can be off a little - especially since they came from a hatchery.

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I vote white Jersey Giant. She'll be a beautiful big bird.

9. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    posibly a white orpington heres a pic of mine

[​IMG]

10. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    All nice breeds, but all brown egg layers. Though there can be a nice variety of brown eggs, from rosy beige to dark brown, pearly smooth and shiny to speckled and textured feeling. I get a really pretty carton and I have only 2 aqua eggs at most in them. Only my BA lay consistently white eggs, not much difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by