1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wondering what to do with all your eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Poppycock, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    My chickens are only 8 weeks old, but I've been collecting egg recipes for the day when I'm overwhelmed with eggs (can't wait!) I thought I'd share one that I use often right now, while I'm waiting:

German Pancake
    (this makes enough for a pyrex dish approx 10X15 - the next larger than 9X13)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While oven is heating, place 2 TBS butter in the pyrex dish and place in oven to melt. In a blender add:
    9 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    Cover and process until smooth. Take pan out of oven and swirl butter so it covers the bottom. Pour batter over top. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. It will puff up and look very interesting while it bakes, then falls when taken out of the oven. The kids will love watching it!

If you want to use a 9X13 size pan, reduce the eggs to 6, the milk and flour to 1 cup each, and use 1/2 tsp salt. I still use the 2 TBSP butter.

We serve it with maple syrup, but to make it special, I'll make the following buttermilk syrup:

Buttermilk Syrup
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup butter
    2 TBSP corn syrup
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the 1st 5 ingredients in a saucepan (use a large one because it foams up alot) and bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Dust pancake with powdered sugar and serve immediately with the syrup. Yield: about 2 cups syrup

Hope you enjoy!

2. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Yes, I'm late in seeing this, but it looks yummy!! I too am overwhelmed with eggs, (almost a dozen a day) and need some new ideas. I plan on making some bread and mayo, but need some for freezing....anyone got some good ones? Seems I read that you can freeze them after scrambling, (before cooking).....anyone???

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I hard boil a dozen at a time and make creamed eggs (white sauce, dry mustard, sliced eggs) over toast or deviled eggs. Quiche is good and also uses up garden veggies. I also sell two dozen a week for $3 each which pays for my lattes!

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have never heard of buttermilk syrup-sounds wonderful! Must try!

5. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    ok... I want to try this... but I'm only using a small countertop convection oven right now. We're out of propane for our regular oven and dont' want to spend the $$ to get it filled!

Soooo... a 9X13 pan won't fit in there. Do you have a suggestion as to how to break down the recipe smaller? either 9" or 10" pan?

Thanks!

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Poppycock! You have no idea how happy you just made me. My mother used to make this for us kids. We always thought it was such a treat. She has been gone 7 years now. Until today I had no idea how to make it. Guess whats for dinner!? Thank you again![​IMG]

7. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    BowChickaBowMow: try halving the recipe again - 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 tsp salt and use 1 TBSP butter melted in the pan. Good luck!

thechickenchick: I'm so happy I could make your day! Enjoy!

8. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:My grandma used to make this all the time. Her general rule was 1/4 cup flour and milk for every egg. (sometimes I add an extra egg just for kicks). This way you can use a small casserole dish, I have also made little ones in muffin tins. (kind of a pain, but cute).

9. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Thanks for the smaller amts ladies! We're heading out of town tomrorow afternoon. I have buttermilk and eggs to use up in the fridge just for this! [​IMG] Can't wait for breakfast in the a.m.!

Send me wishes that it turns out!

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    That reminds me of a couple of recipes similar:

YORKSHIRE PUDDING

3/4 c. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1 c. milk
    4 tbsp. oil

Beat flour, salt, eggs, milk together until very smooth, scraping bowl occasionally. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Measure oil into 8 x 8 x 2 inch square Pyrex pan. Heat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Do not open door. Serve immediately.

When fresh from oven good Yorkshire pudding is a puffy irregular shaped golden mass, unlike any other baked dish. On standing a few minutes, the surface settles more or less evenly and when cut the outer crust is tender, crisp and center soft and custardy.

Serves 6.

Popovers

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Popovers.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by